Install missing door handles or new doors ? - El Camino Central Forum : Chevrolet El Camino Forums
El Camino Central Forum : Chevrolet El Camino Forums

Ground Up
Notices

User Name
Password
Go Back   El Camino Central Forum : Chevrolet El Camino Forums > Body & Chassis > Body Restoration

Old 11-07-2019, 03:55 AM
Gear Head

NECOA #: 91598
scorpius will become famous soon enough
Garage
Default Install missing door handles or new doors ?

Hello,

I finally got my first el camino 1972 SS 454 BB and I have a big problem.
The doors don't have any door handles, someone cleaned them out, closed the holes and painted over.
In my country (Luxemburg/Europe) this is not allowed, which I did not know of course because it does not make sense to me not to allow this.
Anyway, now I need to make a decision, buy handles+locks and make simple holes and reconnect the opening mechanism, which will be difficult for me because if i look at the door from inside, it is not possible to make a hole where the handles are without removing the entire inside steel frame of the door...or option 2, get two other doors..which will also be difficult to find here in europe..if i buy them in the US it will probably cost me a small fortune because of the weight and import fees...

So as you can see my situation is a bit ****ty since i have no other car for the moment.
Any suggestions ?

Greets
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-07-2019, 12:16 PM
Master Wrench

Name: JJ
Year: 1985
Model: El Camino SS
Region: 13(TX)
NECOA #: 12122
JJLT1 has a reputation beyond reputeJJLT1 has a reputation beyond reputeJJLT1 has a reputation beyond repute
Garage

welcome Scorpius
what about an electric push button on the door for entry ??

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Old 11-07-2019, 06:21 PM
Master Wrench

Name: mat
Year: 1978
Model: El Camino
Region: 22(CANADA (Ontario and East)
NECOA #: 81434
crazywolfie will become famous soon enough

so did someone shave the door handles? if so you may want to try talking to a local shop first that does inspections if that is your issue. i know i had people tell my 78 would not pass a safety with shaved door handles but my moms mechanic who does safeties said it was fine as long as i had a remote or some way of opening the doors from the outside. they can be a big pain in the A$S but do look pretty cool and make it a bit trickier for someone to steal your vehicle or even get into it. i know i got to take my doors apart and possibly clean the latch and maybe oil the solenoid to make it start working properly all the time again.
93 ramcharger 2wd 318/518/3.55

Old 11-07-2019, 07:15 PM
Master Wrench

Name: T
Year: 1986
NECOA #: 22854
cyberray has much to be proud of

as crazywolfie points out, it's a good idea to have a pull-cable hidden somewhere anyway. as for safety inspection, they've got weird ideas of what constitutes 'safe' here in Texas. you could literally drive around with a smashed-up windshield and pass 'safety inspection' but gdforbid your tint on the front windows is too dark or your hi-beam indicator doesn't work
Old 11-08-2019, 03:55 AM
Gear Head

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazywolfie View Post
so did someone shave the door handles? if so you may want to try talking to a local shop first that does inspections if that is your issue. i know i had people tell my 78 would not pass a safety with shaved door handles but my moms mechanic who does safeties said it was fine as long as i had a remote or some way of opening the doors from the outside. they can be a big pain in the A$S but do look pretty cool and make it a bit trickier for someone to steal your vehicle or even get into it. i know i got to take my doors apart and possibly clean the latch and maybe oil the solenoid to make it start working properly all the time again.

Hello crazywolfie and cyberray, Yes someone shaved the door handles and yes i also have a hidden pull cable to open the door. And since 2 days i am not able to open the door anymore with the electrical button on my key. I can hear the sound of the mechansim which is suppose to open the door, but both doors do not open anymore (except with the pull calbe and from the inside). So you are saying that i need to take apart the door an clean the mechanism ?

The official inspector of my car said that there needs to be a way to open the door (both sides) for someone outside to open it, in case i passed out or something and and need to take me out of the car..i think this is a poor argument because in most of the cases where an accident happens for example, the doors don't even open anymore and the windows has to be smashed anyway...

So you think think that if a local shop inspection says that it's fine for them that i will get a official permission to drive ?
Old 11-08-2019, 06:07 AM

Master Wrench

Name: Jeff
Year: 1969
Region: 8 (OH,WV)
NECOA #: 19572
pitts64 is a glorious beacon of light
Garage

I would try to open the holes up..

Shaving those beautiful chrome door handles is one of the most idiotic things the artsy fartsy gang does to a car during the mutilation process that's called a custom.. YUCK!
Old 11-08-2019, 09:32 AM
Master Wrench

Name: mat
Year: 1978
Region: 22(CANADA (Ontario and East)
NECOA #: 81434
crazywolfie will become famous soon enough

if you can hear the solenoids click but doors not open then yes the latch mechanism may need to be cleaned and oiled and solenoid may need to be oiled. when i first got my elcamino i was opening it with coat hangers since i didn't know where the emergency door cable was and solenoids were not working. cleaning/oiling them seemed to last about 2 years but was using cheaper lubricating oils back then.

i am not sure how inspections work where you are but sometimes talking to a shop that does the inspections can help find a solutions since i would assume the car was plated for use on the road before you bought it. some inspections stations might be pickier than others. 1 place was complaining about the worn rubber brake pedal pad, no sun visors and cracked grill on my buddies truck. took it to a local shop i liked dealing with and it passed with flying colors.
Old 11-08-2019, 12:21 PM
Master Wrench

JJLT1 has a reputation beyond reputeJJLT1 has a reputation beyond reputeJJLT1 has a reputation beyond repute
Garage

x2 on the lube, check the door latch for lube too,,
sometimes they need cleaning the old grease/dirt out and re-greased..
and sometimes the solenoids are just too small, and don't work as good as bigger ones do..

Old 11-13-2019, 12:57 AM
Gear Head

Garage

Thanks everyone for the Tips.
I've been trying to find 2 doors but without luck, as i said it's difficult here in europe to find them.

So I think i will try the other option and reconnect the handles to the mechanism, just need to find them. Does somebody have some pictures of the interior of the door that shows the mechanism that connects the door handles and locks with the door opening mechanism, to be sure that i buy all the needed parts and also to know how to connect all the stuff together ?

I would appreciate.
Old 11-19-2019, 12:35 AM
Gear Head

Garage

I'm trying to figure out what parts i need to reconstruct the Door handle mechanism + the key lock and knob mechansim.

These are the parts i found for my 72 el camino :

https://www.ss396.com/part/RLR-066.html
http://www.championclassicauto.com/7...h-p-14348.html
http://www.championclassicauto.com/7...h-p-14331.html

Could someone confirm me if these are the correct parts and if i'm missing some parts (Except from the door handles and the key lock) ?
Does anybody have experience with this ?

Is it a big deal to do this or is it better to pay more and get an assembled door ?

Thanks

Old 11-19-2019, 06:19 AM
Master Wrench

Garage

1st link is for a Nova, Camaro..
2nd- 3rd is for a pickup truck..
look here
https://www.ss396.com/el-camino/RDL-...mino&year=1972
https://www.ss396.com/el-camino/MPX-...mino&year=1972
https://www.ss396.com/el-camino/MPX-...mino&year=1972
https://www.ss396.com/el-camino/LDL-...mino&year=1972
http://www.championclassicauto.com/d...4651_4676.html
http://www.championclassicauto.com/e...4716_4713.html
Old 11-19-2019, 06:49 AM
Gear Head

Garage

Thanks man !
The handles and locks are not hard to find and the door latch is still in my door since i am able to open the door with the handle from the inside of the car.
What i am actually looking for is the rod system for the knob, the key lock and the outside door handle.
Old 11-19-2019, 03:58 PM
Master Wrench

Garage

the out side handle may come with all it needs,, I cant remember on a 72
but the 4-5inch rod that comes with some, to the latch maybe all that's needed for that..
we'll see if someone can check that ???
usually if I can find these clips, I would just bend up some welding rods to fit,,
they just need a 90* bend on each end..
https://www.opgi.com/keys-locks/inte...y-ch30530.html
these kind are a little harder, they need a grove around the rod, or really just on 2 sides,
to keep the clip from sliding off.. but it can be done with a sharp file..
if you make up 2 90* ends that are cut apart, its easyer to judge the length you need..
https://www.elcaminostore.com/el-cam...ent-clips.html
these go on the outside door lock cylinder,
I don't remember how they attach, with a clip or special rodend, like a Z bend ??
I know they have to push and pull the lockrod to the latch..
https://www.opgi.com/keys-locks/exte...t-cal1108.html
a factory assm manual may be worth it, if you plan to keep the Cruk..
https://www.opgi.com/books/service-m...o-aa0f148.html

Last edited by JJLT1; 11-19-2019 at 04:09 PM.
Old Yesterday, 12:25 AM
Gear Head

Garage

That is some helpful information. I was also asking myself if i could just take a random welding rod and bend it how i need to, I will give it a try if i cant find them.

The manual is a great idea and i will get me one for sure!

Thanks !
Old Today, 01:32 AM
Gear Head

Garage

Does anybody know if the inner door rod/lock system from the el camino 1972 is identical to the one from the chevelle 1972 ?
Because it seems to be easier to find them for the chevelle than for the el camino..

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the El Camino Central Forum : Chevrolet El Camino Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Postal Code
Required
Street Address
Complete, verifiable Street or other address required (Hidden)
City
Your city or town
State or Province
Required
Location area within State
Which selection best describes the area of the State that you live in.
Country
Required
NECOA Region
Required
Year of Vehicle
Required
Make of Vehicle
Required
Model of Vehicle
Required
Real Name
Required. Your real name to be shown in your posts and profile.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in