El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This job has always been rumored to be a horrible experience. But I must say that, while it wasn’t the easiest, it was certainly not as bad as rumored. I now have no heating system components in my car at all. Since my transmission is no longer leaking and I already had money set aside to replace it, if necessary, I’m instead going to direct those funds toward a Classic Auto Air system.

I already have a new Dakota Digital dash and new dash bezel awaiting installation. It seems like there is really no better time to address the HVAC since my dash will be torn apart anyway. Perhaps my newly leaking heater core was more of a gift than a curse, as it’s saving me from having to disassemble things twice.

Anyway, all work is on hold for about two weeks while my lovely wife and I head out of town. I’m ready for a break from this anyway.

Attachments

·
Registered
36 Posts
Glad I found your adventures with the heater on your 68. I'm changing out my heater control head, cables and heater core soon. Any tips on where to begin with the removal? I hear the glove box has to come out and i'm dreading that part, because the previous owner put the new wiring harness/fuse panel in there and it has very little play. I might have to destroy the box removing it...:cry2:

·
Premium Member
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
99% sure you’ll have to remove the glovebox to get the control cables off of the air box, but maybe not. If you end up having to destroy the glove box reproductions are easy to come by and relatively cheap. Basically you just need to remove the two screws that hold the controller from underneath then separate the cables from the air box and electrical connectors from the controller and drop it right out.

·
Registered
36 Posts
This could happen tomorrow unless the mrs wants to go on a motorcycle ride through the delta. We have unseasonably warm weather here in the Sacramento Valley lately. Have to take advantage of it when it's here. Awesome tips, thanks!

·
Registered
36 Posts
It's out and replaced. Did the fan motor, and still waiting on the new dash pad so I can install the heater head and cables. Hey, did you happen to put a light in the heater control and wire it up to the other gauge lights? I'm still searching for a light socket that will fit it and will try that if possible. Meanwhile, i'm adding a vacuum pump and extra reservoir so the pump doesn't work too hard. Also found the wires to the wiper motor that were tucked under the fender and not installed. Too bad they are not stock harness ends (Packard 56). i'll have to trial and error once I get the inner fender, battery tray and battery back in it. Wipers would be nice! .... Maybe tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
It should heat better without all that debris in there. I would grease all the little door hinges and springs also..

When ever removing hoses from the heater core, I get my razor knife and slit the hose length wise to relieve the pressure. Pulling on the brass hose connections usually causes leaks..

·
Premium Member
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It's out and replaced. Did the fan motor, and still waiting on the new dash pad so I can install the heater head and cables. Hey, did you happen to put a light in the heater control and wire it up to the other gauge lights? I'm still searching for a light socket that will fit it and will try that if possible. Meanwhile, i'm adding a vacuum pump and extra reservoir so the pump doesn't work too hard. Also found the wires to the wiper motor that were tucked under the fender and not installed. Too bad they are not stock harness ends (Packard 56). i'll have to trial and error once I get the inner fender, battery tray and battery back in it. Wipers would be nice! .... Maybe tomorrow.
Mine already had a light in it which was wired in with the rest of the dash lights. I’d think it would be easy to find a replacement socket, although I’ve never searched for one. If you happen to strike out let me know and I’ll dig one out of my piles of leftovers for you.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Thank you for the offer. I ordered 2 sockets for my dash and only needed one that I broke off while removing the heater control unit. I think the heater takes the same small socket so I might get lucky with it. Today i'll be removing the speedo cable and lubing it up as it is a little bouncy. PTFE lube should do it. Might as well tackle that while the dash is partially removed and the cable is easier to get to.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Taking a couple of days off, but i'll get going on the heater tomorrow evening for a couple of hrs. Had a buddy come over and we dove into the wiper motor. After watching "how to test a GM wiper motor" by Cris Craft, the motor is no good. Have another one on the way and a new switch...Never ends!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts