El Camino Central Forum banner

21 - 22 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I would recommend a radiator upgrade (or a new replacement). I added an electric (pull) fan to help at low speeds.
The 350 is the way to go, price should include some basic warranty (promise?) from mechanic that "It'll work".
Jasper warranty with mechanic is 3 yrs 36k mi.

·
Registered
3 Posts
In stead of putting a high compression small motor that has to work to make horsepower use a low compression 454 that's carbureted and has a points ignition. They make big power right off idle were you need it. Putting one in a small car like the el Camino it pretty much loafs and will last a long time. The big pay off is you get all this power and fun on 87 octane gas and have a motor that's always easy to start in the heat and is easy to service.. Those small motors have to work hard to give you all those horses while this big cube motors just loaf on cheap gasoline..

Another payoff is how cool a big block looks in that engine bay.. That's my 1978 low compression 454, TH400 with a 2:87 rear end. It smokes the tires anytime I want and cruises the highway at 100 with ease..
In stead of putting a high compression small motor that has to work to make horsepower use a low compression 454 that's carbureted and has a points ignition. They make big power right off idle were you need it. Putting one in a small car like the el Camino it pretty much loafs and will last a long time. The big pay off is you get all this power and fun on 87 octane gas and have a motor that's always easy to start in the heat and is easy to service.. Those small motors have to work hard to give you all those horses while this big cube motors just loaf on cheap gasoline..

Another payoff is how cool a big block looks in that engine bay.. That's my 1978 low compression 454, TH400 with a 2:87 rear end. It smokes the tires anytime I want and cruises the highway at 100 with ease..

View attachment 127222
Sounds like a good idea

21 - 22 of 22 Posts