El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1976 El Camino w Conquista Pckg
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Someone tried to hang the back wall pelt kit, years ago & failed big time. See pict ElCid Fleece 01 when my wall pelt had a huge empty mid pocket, hung down where adhesive failed.

In pict ElCid Fleece 02, you can see I used a steamer then peeled and scraped 1/2 the wall pelt off the back wall, down to top of cubby hole. It’s not perfect, but from the top of the cubby hole, the kit is sealed to the lower wall.

I scrapped the crappy spray-on adhesive off the back wall with a wire bristle drill bit in a drill. Then sprayed the back wall with a dark blue base coat. pict ElCid Fleece 03

In pict ElCid Fleece 04 you can see I’m prepping boards to hold the wall pelt against the back wall once I apply carpet glue.

Here is my problem. In pict ElCid Fleece 05 I noticed the dry wall pelt roll won’t lay flat to the wall.

Q: Should I add more steam to loosen and flatten both sides of wall pelt? Let it dry a bit ?, then start slathering carpet glue to wall and wall pelt?

I have this theory, if I cover my interior with plastic paint tarp, then (pict ElCid Fleece 06) shove plastic corragated sign boards up under the ElCo back wall shelf, then use a large flat board held flush against back wall with jack stand screw clamp.

In pict ElCid Fleece 07, I plan to use an air mattress behind the bench seat to force wall pelt tight to wall.

Or am I doing it all wrong?

·
Registered
1969 SS396
106 Posts
I've not done this, as I'm a ways away from the interior. I have done carpeting on floors, but I know we can stretch them to get them out. On this application if there's a fold or a wrinkle putting pressure on it as you plan to with that air mattress (great idea!) Seems like it should work.
Hopefully someone who has done it will chime in

·
Registered
4,676 Posts
well, seems to me you realize you need full pressure against that wall for it to confirm. as you know you'll need constant pressure for that to happen. the problem you have is the corrugations that prevent equal pressure on the low points. the airbed will put higher pressure on the high points. is there someway you can pre-form the 'pelt' before glue-ing it back up?

alternatively, what about using velcro strips? glue those to the wall in the low points and match to same on 'pelt'?
also, what about cutting off the pelt where you steamed it off, pre-form it, then glue it back on?

·
Registered
1976 El Camino w Conquista Pckg
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Cyberray,
Thanks for taking the time to respond and advise me.
I was hoping the airbed and a bean bag ( I use it to kneel on when I'm doing interior work), will push hard enough against the back of the seat to solidify the carpet glue the wall. I'll use 9mm plastic to make sure the glue doesn't ruin something.

Is there someway you can pre-form the 'pelt' before glue-ing it back up?

Yes, I could make it more wall fitting by steaming it more,,, but I worry about steaming water into the pelt to flatten it,, and then try to dry it out before I apply the carpet glue. Or, yes, I could cut the wall pelt off or steam and remove it completely. But that wlll take more work making it look like one piece on the wall.

But Glue-ing one side of velcro to the wall, & the other velcro side to the wall pelt, might be the best suggestion I've heard. Just 6-8 x 1 inch Velcro strips might hold it closer while i set up the airbed to hold the corragated boards & shelf boards in place. It's funny how the tall car jack stand wall clamp actually works well to clamp those boards against the back wall.

I am trying to keep the look of my El Cid as stock as I can,,,, for now, and for the summer local car shows,,, while keeping an open mind and open eyes to new modern substances they didn't have in 1976. I bet a high tech poly roll insulation, with a cover of Reflectix would deaden road sound & be a better heat & sound barrier than that OG Chevy wall pelt. But for now, I've got other areas that still do need my attention and money for refurbishing.

I'l post picts of how it goes. And it I fail, I can always buy one of those Pleather curtains to hang from the back wall shelf.

Thanks for advise,
Rodmon79

·
Registered
4,676 Posts
Cyberray,
Thanks for taking the time to respond and advise me.
I was hoping the airbed and a bean bag ( I use it to kneel on when I'm doing interior work), will push hard enough against the back of the seat to solidify the carpet glue the wall. I'll use 9mm plastic to make sure the glue doesn't ruin something.

Is there someway you can pre-form the 'pelt' before glue-ing it back up?

Yes, I could make it more wall fitting by steaming it more,,, but I worry about steaming water into the pelt to flatten it,, and then try to dry it out before I apply the carpet glue. Or, yes, I could cut the wall pelt off or steam and remove it completely. But that wlll take more work making it look like one piece on the wall.

But Glue-ing one side of velcro to the wall, & the other velcro side to the wall pelt, might be the best suggestion I've heard. Just 6-8 x 1 inch Velcro strips might hold it closer while i set up the airbed to hold the corragated boards & shelf boards in place. It's funny how the tall car jack stand wall clamp actually works well to clamp those boards against the back wall.

I am trying to keep the look of my El Cid as stock as I can,,,, for now, and for the summer local car shows,,, while keeping an open mind and open eyes to new modern substances they didn't have in 1976. I bet a high tech poly roll insulation, with a cover of Reflectix would deaden road sound & be a better heat & sound barrier than that OG Chevy wall pelt. But for now, I've got other areas that still do need my attention and money for refurbishing.

I'l post picts of how it goes. And it I fail, I can always buy one of those Pleather curtains to hang from the back wall shelf.

Thanks for advise,
Rodmon79
couple things....

I looked at my 5th gen today, it has a thick felt underlayment covering the corrugated area that hangs under the carpet that normally hangs there.
if you really want to pre-form the pelt so it hugs the curves of the corrugation, get some boards that fill the valleys and cut some boards that replicate the raised corrugation. like the picture below. lay it flat on the floor then put some heavy weight on it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts