El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was all set to buy the M.A.D. 1-to-3 wire alternator upgrade kit (see previous post regarding this decision). Taking a closer look at my existing alternator, I noticed there was distinctly more than one wire coming out of the unit. I'm wondering if the PO had already performed a similar upgrade. Here are a couple of (hopefully) helpful pictures of the wires coming out of the back of the alternator:

Wire 1 is a fairly heaver gauge (12ga?) black wire. The wire/connector 2 has two wires coming out of it. One wire is black the other is orange or brown; hard to tell with the grime and paint over-spray that covers the insulation. If I were to hazard a guess, maybe this is the hook up for the tachometer?

So is this a one or three wire alternator? I'm guessing one, but I'd like some confirmation.

Just when I think I've got it all figured out, the Elky throws me another curve ball.... :???:

·
Registered
106 Posts
Your picture is of an external regulator alternator. The large wire connected to the post ultimately connects to the battery. The smaller two wire connector goes to the external regulator. The alternators generally referred to as one wire or three wire alternators are those with an internal regulator.

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
3 wire alternator------external voltage regulator

the big wire is the charge wire and is (for that alternator) indirectly attached to the battery +

one of the smaller wires in the connector went to an original voltage regulator to 'sense' the battery voltage and turn the alternator on and off.

The other wire in the 2 wire connector is an "excite" wire.
This wire actually turns the alternator on thru the voltage regulator when the key is turn on.
When the key is turned to "ON" and the engine is not running, this wire is grounded inside the alternator and turns on the ALT light.
As soon as the engine starts this wire supplies 12 volts to the ground side of the ALT lamp preventing it from coming on.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Huh. Ok, so that would mean I would not need the 3 wire upgrade kit then? Does this mean I could put in (or perhaps already have) a more powerful alternator like the SI10 or SI12? Planning on adding dual radiator fans in the near future. Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
Not a big deal to upgrade to an internally regulated alternator.

A couple of jumper wires is all you need to bypass the regulator.
a different connctor for the 2 wire connector as yours wil not work.
Internal regulated alternators use a flat plug

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Not a big deal to upgrade to an internally regulated alternator.

A couple of jumper wires is all you need to bypass the regulator.
a different connctor for the 2 wire connector as yours wil not work.
Internal regulated alternators use a flat plug
Something like this? (3rd item from top). Or a picture:

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
Yep
That's all you need
You can totally remove the existing voltage regulator or leave it mounted----up to you

1 - 9 of 9 Posts