El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
532 Posts
i think its safe to say your hei would be fried, possibly anything with a computer, damn and i just did a tbi swap hmmm..........

·
Premium Member
12,122 Posts
The Chevys had points until '75 on most models I believe Mopars had electronic ignitions earlier. I have the original engine yet for my '74 Malibu, with a points type distributor still in it. Some Cadillacs had HEI earlier than '75.
The magnetic wave would sure wipe out anything that's solid state, like engine management components.
Just hope I'm not around to witness it !!:smileyb:

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
Simple solution for the HEI ... just keep a new module in a sealed steel box. Something like a Faraday cage. It's not all that hard to EMP shield things.. but the envelope has to be completely seamless. Pretty much impossible on a car.

Modern vehicles have too many modules distributed throughout... so even having a spare ECU stashed away probably won't save the day.

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
Just scanned the article.... pretty much a joke! The only one that makes any sense is the air cooled VW. Points ignition.... very little in the way of mechanicals... as long as you can get gas to put in it, they'll run damn near forever.

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
I want one that is bullet proof, lined with lead and has plenty of holsters and a turret.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts