El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to pick up a rear end tomorrow for another project.
I have a choice of both...which do I choose?
Do both Chevy rear ends use c clip axles?
I know the 12 bolt cases are preferred,but I'd choose the 10 bolt to eliminate the c clips.
Thanks.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The Pontiac rear ends have bolt in axles.
I'm not sure what I will find tomorrow,the ride is about an hour from me.
You guys would always choose the 12 bolt if they were the same price?
My car has been on stands all summer,and need the garage space.
Not sure of the ratio's,just want to get the car rolling again.
Thanks.

·
Registered
555 Posts
IMO, buying the 10 bolt over the 12 bolt for the same price, would be like buying a 2 bolt block instead of a 4 bolt block for the same price....

I would pay more for the 12 bolt and wouldnt worry so much about C-clips.

·
Registered
1966 El Camino
2,048 Posts
Depends on the 10 bolt. Truth is the 8.5" 10 bolt is plenty strong with a ring gear diamter only 3/8" less than the 12 bolt. However the 8.2 and even smaller 10 bolts are much weaker.

I wouldnt hesitate to run a 8.5" 10 bolt, they are easier to find, cheaper, lighter and can be made to be every bit as strong as a 12 bolt.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The car is just a driver,probably wont see any drag racing.
Both axles are available,complete with control arms.
My current rear control arms have some rust,and a hairline crack.
I'll have to wait and see which axle is in better shape and pick one.
Thanks for the opinions.

·
Senior Member, NECOA Contributor
923 Posts
No Brainer, go 12 bolt. How often to you really see cars with axles hanging out the side of them? For the strength, it's easy 12 bolt.

·
Premium Member
12,122 Posts
The choice, with price not being in the decision, would be a 10 bolt, since if not running a big engine, why have a big rear end, etc Likely heavier piece also. Maybe a different U-joint situation, to fit the pinion on a 12 bolt, but, there are U-joints available to convert from one type, like a 1330, to a 1350, for example, if you decide on a 12 bolt.
Summit Racing likely has the conversion joints if needed. I get mine from Inland Empire Driveline Service in California.

·
VINTAGE MOTORHEAD
4,102 Posts
C clips are okay as long as you aren't racing with big slicks. You can buy clip eliminatirs from Summit or Jegs. The other option is a non Chevy rear aka BOP ( buick,olds, pontiac.. I am running a 67 GTO posi with bolt in axles and sealed Timken bearings. It is a 10 bolt. 3.42. Not sure if it is 8.5 or not. I was told they are a little stronger than the chev 10 bolt.

·
Venerated Member RIP
4,461 Posts
I was lucky my 70 came with a 12bolt.
Not so lucky it came with a peg leg and 2:43 gears.
Now a 4:10 posie.

If you got a choice go 12bolt.

·
Deputy Director Region 6 - 2013 Founders' Award Re
3,683 Posts
12 bolt is proven and 12 bolt on resale is going to do the job and pay for any extra coin you lay out in making it right or changing the gears for yourself while you own the car. Think about it the first thing every buyer I have had on the last four car did was ask or check to see if the cars were 12 bolt.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Unfortunately they were both 10 bolts.
The guy was very nice and threw in a set of rear coil springs and some windshield wiper arms I needed.
It's a 3:08 open differential,and came with decent lower control arms and newer drums.
Can't really beat the price of $100,at least the car is now moving.:beer:

·
Registered
555 Posts
Unfortunately they were both 10 bolts.
The guy was very nice and threw in a set of rear coil springs and some windshield wiper arms I needed.
It's a 3:08 open differential,and came with decent lower control arms and newer drums.
Can't really beat the price of $100,at least the car is now moving.:beer:
Cool, sounds like you made out ok! :beer:

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The numbers for the axle should be located on the axle tube,next to the pumpkin on the passenger side axle tube.
How high you can go depends on the carrier,there are three carriers available.
one is 3.00 and under,series 2 carrier is from 3.08-4.11,and series 3 is 4.11 and over...something to that effect.
3.08 is a series 2 carrier and is pretty popular,but you'll need the axle numbers to be sure.
Big Gear Head seems to be alive on most chevy forums,and would be the guy to ask for specific questions.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts