El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just installed the upgrade parts with global west upper a-arms, b-body spindles and 1LE rotors. Now front tires are 2inches further out on each side and rub the wheel wells. Has anyone else ran into this problem?

·
Registered
4,112 Posts
Haven't done a brake swap yet,But i have heard that the taller spindles move the wheels outwards. I,m already running 15by 8 wheels with 245 60 15's up front, which are larger than most run. Last year I cut the outer portion of the metal reinforcement of the fenderwell off & flattened & streatched the inner lip of the fender well for more clearance. No more rubbing on bumps. This type of mod may be your only option other than different offset wheels.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply but I read the instructions for global west hotchkis and edelbrock for this upgrade and they only mention a 3/8 inch wider trackwith. So I think i did something wrong and dont really want to roll the lip of my fenders. I was wondering if the F-body spindles were any shorter than the b-body spindles. I was hopeing someone else familiar with this mod might have come across something along the same lines

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
i just did the big brake and mine only changed about 1/2 in per side and no rub, i did however use the b body rotors and stock upper arms. i just made plates to raise the upper arm the inch to compensate for the taller spindle

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
Thanks for the reply but I read the instructions for global west hotchkis and edelbrock for this upgrade and they only mention a 3/8 inch wider trackwith. So I think i did something wrong and dont really want to roll the lip of my fenders. I was wondering if the F-body spindles were any shorter than the b-body spindles. I was hopeing someone else familiar with this mod might have come across something along the same lines
I assume you are using the negative roll upper arms from global west and not just the g-plus arms. my understanding is the g-plus arms are for the shorter factory spindle and the negative roll arms are for the taller spindle. I will be making this conversion mysef in the future, I already have the upper arms in my possession but not the other parts.

The f-body spindles needed for the tall spindle conversion are the same height as the b-body ones but are intended for an 11" rotor not the 12" you get with certain b-body spindles.

something else is goin on here, if you are using th correct spindles with the correct rotor it simply shouldnt be possible to assemble it to be 2" wider, which leads me to believe one or more of the parts are the wrong parts.

What was the donor vehicle for the spindles?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I m useing 89 caprice spindles and raybestos 5994 rotors and yes its the global west upper arms for the tall spindle upgrade. I worked on it all day today, taking everything off and on several times and after putting it on the ground I found that the spacing was right at 1 inch greater than stock instead if the 2 inches I got when on jacks. My problem is Im running 235/55-16 tires and guess that the 1 inch was all it took to rub. I would like to know if the F-body spindles have the same offset as the B-body spindles to maybe save changing wheels.
Any help is allways apreciated

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
I m useing 89 caprice spindles and raybestos 5994 rotors and yes its the global west upper arms for the tall spindle upgrade. I worked on it all day today, taking everything off and on several times and after putting it on the ground I found that the spacing was right at 1 inch greater than stock instead if the 2 inches I got when on jacks. My problem is Im running 235/55-16 tires and guess that the 1 inch was all it took to rub. I would like to know if the F-body spindles have the same offset as the B-body spindles to maybe save changing wheels.
Any help is allways apreciated
I am not 100% certain but I dont believe the f-body spindles have the caliper mounts to match a 12" rotor, unless of course all f-body spindles used bolt on caliper mounts but I am unsure if this is the case.

·
Registered
342 Posts
did you put the alignment shims back in where the upper a-arm mounts to the frame? that might pull the top of the spindle in enough for you.
hopefully it works out for you!

·
Registered
400 Posts
I have f body spindles with 11" brakes and aftermarket Pole-Position (now known as SPC Performance) upper control arms which is approximately the same dimensions as the Global West negative roll upper arms. I have attached three photos and hope that they help as follows:

Please note, second photo shows upper arm clearance before I ground down interference from frame bracket (I don't have after picture). Further, this second photo is the suspension without any load on it. Last picture shows S10 bump stop which is definitely a big improvement over stock. Finally, my ride width was affected minimally (less than 1/2" on each side) and did not have any fender interference as a result of this upgrade. I hope that this helps. In these pics, you will see the sway bar stabilizer and shock upper mount not yet tightened as these pics were taken while we were putting things back together (same thing with brake hose, upper control arm nuts and lack of grease in ball joints).

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all of the help, I work allll the time and dont get to check the site as often as I would like to, so please be patiant with me. Im still trying to figure out what to do, since I have invested so much time and money in this upgrade, (very limited budget) and my elcy is my main source of transportation, which means it cant be down for long. I dont want to start from scratch but was wondering if the 1/2 inch change in width was wider or narrower with the F-body 11inch spindles.
Thanks

1 - 11 of 11 Posts