El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
66/350, 2 amplifier stereo, no a/c, upgrading to elect fans (12in x 2). I have a one wire alternator set up already, conversion done years ago by mechanic. My ? is, I want to get a "pretty" one, perhaps one of the chrome ones. I was looking at one on line, it is 120amps. Is this too much amperage? Does the internal regulator adjust the output so I won't fry anything with the 120 amp output? My headlights do dim when rockin' out. Any advice would be appreciated, thanks:dontknow:

·
ZERO MPG
15,367 Posts
66/350, 2 amplifier stereo, no a/c, upgrading to elect fans (12in x 2). I have a one wire alternator set up already, conversion done years ago by mechanic. My ? is, I want to get a "pretty" one, perhaps one of the chrome ones. I was looking at one on line, it is 120amps. Is this too much amperage? Does the internal regulator adjust the output so I won't fry anything with the 120 amp output? My headlights do dim when rockin' out. Any advice would be appreciated, thanks:dontknow:

If your going to run 120 amps make sure you have the right cable size for the amperage or you will fry the cable. I'm running more than that with a stock alt. with a red top batt. and have no dimming.

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
i just put a lt1 from a caprice cop car in my 86 and it has a 140 amp alt .the alt will only put out what is needed to keep the voltage at the regulator set voltage. it wont fry things except for the charge line from it if its too small for the size alt. i use a 4 gauge cable from the alt to the battery on all of my cars,i build my own cables.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I will try to upload a pic of the set up now, if I remember correctly, the alt has a 4g(?) wire running to a 4 output junction block on the inner fender, with one of the junctions going back to the battery. I've had no charging problems that I can recall since it has been this way. I have a junction open that I was planning on using for the fans. Let me see if I can get a pic of this on here so you can give me some feedback if this doesn't look right. Will try to get one tonight, stand by!

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ok, here is a pic of the set up, if i can get them to load. Please give me some input it this doesn't look right. I would like to get that altenator ordered soon, but I don't want to put too much juice to my system and fry something, any help is appreciated, thanks.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
this is what i use.this is 4 gauge. its the next size down from the battery cable.yours looks like maybe 8.its hard to tell from the pick but should be fine.i always run mine strait to the battery with no stops in between and pull the accesory power from a seperate cable

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
CCC and HKDUP87 , thank you for your input. I ordered the alt, 120amp, new, chrome. should get late this week. I will do as suggested, and up grade to a 4g wire running straight to battery terminal, then leave every thing else the same. That will actually give me 2 open ports on my distribution block, to add more crap I don't need. I am assuming this will not fry anything with the upgraded wire....??? That's my main concern, just don't want to have too much power for elect. system that is almost 50 years old. Any more concerns, suggestions, advice will be appreciated. Thank you, AC:beer:

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
it shouldnt give you any problems with a 4 ga. charge line direct to the battery.as i said earlier it will only put out what it requires to maintane the set voltage of the reg.but a word of caution make sure all of your other connections are good,clean and tight on the ground side

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
parts store didnt sell 4ga. wire by the foot, so I bought a 4ga. battery cable and some eyelets, should work. just waiting for alt. to come in. will up date w/pix soon, hopefully this weekend.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts