El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's a pic of a 120 MPH police speedometer I installed in my '78. You will also need the the hair spring. To be sure of accuracy I a had a speedo shop calibrate.

Here are the part numbers if you can still locate them

·
87 Choo Choo
1,406 Posts
Ooooo...purdy! Nice job and good information!

Question: If there's no key in the ignition and the speedo is at 0 mph, how can it be turning 1,400 rpm's? :lol:

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Don't really know. It's been that way since day one. Now with the ignition on and engine not running it will go to 0. Engine at idle it reads about 650 rpm.

·
Vendor
4,363 Posts
What are in the two delco packages?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Small envelope is the hair spring for the 120 MPH speedometer. The box was for the 120MPH police instrument bezel. Those are the GM part numbers. Happy hunting for those interested.

·
Registered
105 Posts
What do you mean by "police" speedometer? Is it the same as the 120 speedo out of a MCSS or no? I found an 88 MCSS in local JY with 120 still in it 8O so i think I'll be picking that up perty soon!

·
Banned
881 Posts
wheelklown said:
What do you mean by "police" speedometer? Is it the same as the 120 speedo out of a MCSS or no?
The 79-83 Malibu 9C1 Police pursuit cars had a 120 MPH speedo with 2MPH increments.

:mrgreen:

·
Banned
881 Posts
87SS said:
Question: If there's no key in the ignition and the speedo is at 0 mph, how can it be turning 1,400 rpm's?
The tachometer in my 86 MCSS and in my Elky never read zero when the engine is off. They seems to stay at whatever the RPM was when I turned off the engine.

·
Registered
105 Posts
thx Ernie... if im not mistaken theres also a difference in looks from that one to the MCSS version... I like this one more, but the MCSS one will match the rest of my guage cluster. Plus its easier to get a hold of.

·
Banned
881 Posts
wheelklown said:
thx Ernie... if im not mistaken theres also a difference in looks from that one to the MCSS version.
That's right, the color and the font of the numbers are different. To match your 86 Elky you need the speedometer from a 86-88 MCSS.

·
Registered
29 Posts
if you notice his gauges are blue faced , the newer 1's are orange face

and if you notice also th newer are 115 not 120

if got the orig speedo from both cop cars long time ago , in the wrecking yards

also the monte SS tach in the newer 1's redine at 5500 not 5000

·
Registered
492 Posts
part #'s are no good.... sad, i really need a speedometer that goes past 85 seeing as how the rest of my car does. guess im off to the junkyard.

·
Director Region 13 (TX) Emeritus
601 Posts
there is a way to do it

If you want a speedometer that reads 115MPH the easy way to get it is take regular 85 MPH buy a appliqué from Lauren engineering install it and send the speedo of to have it calibrated. You can also change the face on all your instruments to white face and then have the speedo calibrated for about $40 or $50 bucks. It will cost you much less money than an original 115 MPH speedo, on e-bay they usually go for around $150 and more. Finding one in a junk yard would be pure luck. Harald

1 - 14 of 14 Posts