El Camino Central Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all
I just bought a 77 Elko and the vin is 14 not 13 digits why does it have 14 digits. ? I decoded it as a GMC 2 Dr. built in Arlington Tn. Is it a GMC sprint the car has no logos the badges are gone. After that R for Arlington there are these sequences 5013581 what does this indicate I can't find any info on a 14 dicey vin... Thanks Dan

· Deputy National Director
10,629 Posts
Only thing I can think of is a mistake by the worker at the factory that does the stamping ?
Should be only 6 digits for the last numbers which is the production numbers

1977 El Camino VIN Breakdown

Location – The VIN number is stamped on a plate located on top of the instrument panel and visible through the windshield on the drivers side. It is composed of 13 numbers and letters.

A sample 1977 El Camino VIN would look like this: 1D80U7R100001

1st digit – This is the manufacturers identity number
1 = Chevrolet
5 = GMC

2nd digit - This is the Model Series
C = El Camino
D = El Camino Custom

3rd and 4th and digits - This is the Body Style
80 = 2dr Sedan Pick-up

5th digit - This identifies the engine
D = L-6 250cid
L = V-8, 350cid, 4-bbl
U = V-8, 305cid

6th digit - This is the last digit of the model year
7 = 1977

7th digit - This is the Assembly Plant code
B = Baltimore, MD
D = Doraville, GA
R = Arlington, TX
Z = Fremont, CA
1 = Oshawa, Canada

8th through 13th digits – Sequential Production Number
100001 – Sequential Production Number

· Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks had not considered that possibility. I found one site that mentioned a 14 digit vin was something that was sometimes used but most sites listed decoding info based on 13. I wonder if the GM heritage center could shed some light on it ? Also odd that it decides as GMC / El Camino rather than Chevy I thought it might be a sprint in sheep's clothing...Lol.....Thanks !!!!!

· Registered
87 Caballero Amarillo, original 305/200-4R, QJ
1,705 Posts
Thirteenth/Fourteenth digits: The last six digits display the production number, starting with 100001 or 5000000.

Prior to 1981, vins were not standardized, so could have 11-14 digits total, depending on where it was manufactured and what classification etc. Your first 7 digits are all that really says anything, 8 through 13/14 are just the production number based on the plant.

With gmc's, C would be a Sprint standard, D would be a Sprint Classic. The 5th digit may have different options than what's listed for Chevy.

· Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks So apparently I have a Sprint Classic not an Elko. The first seven digits read 5D80L7R....it has swivel bucket seats, power windows and power door locks makes sense that it would be the classic trim package otherwise it would not have those options. The trim tag indicates swivel seats. Since the badging has been removed I bought a set of badges for an Elko classic....so an Elko Cline it will be....HahHaha the jokes on me.

· Registered
87 Caballero Amarillo, original 305/200-4R, QJ
1,705 Posts
You got badges for an elky, because those are available. The 5D says you have a Much rarer truck, it's a GMC Sprint, there were only 5965 Sprints made in 77 vs 54,321 Elkys. It'd take a minor miracle and more patience than all the Saints have, combined, to find a full set of 77 Sprint badges now. Anything strictly GMC for any year of these trucks, even down to the hood ornament, is next to impossible to find.

That vin just doubled (if not more) the value of your truck. 5D80L7R is GMC, Sprint Classic, 350cu 4BBL 170HP, 1977, made in Arlington. 1977 was the last year for the 4th gen Sprint, in 1978 it became the Caballero with the release of the 5th gen.

· Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You got badges for an elky, because those are available. The 5D says you have a Much rarer truck, it's a GMC Sprint, there were only 5965 Sprints made in 77 vs 54,321 Elkys. It'd take a minor miracle and more patience than all the Saints have, combined, to find a full set of 77 Sprint badges now. Anything strictly GMC for any year of these trucks, even down to the hood ornament, is next to impossible to find.

That vin just doubled (if not more) the value of your truck. 5D80L7R is GMC, Sprint Classic, 350cu 4BBL 170HP, 1977, made in Arlington. 1977 was the last year for the 4th gen Sprint, in 1978 it became the Caballero with the release of the 5th gen.

Wow !!! So knowing this should I try and badge it was a GMC for value or clone it as an Elko ? I a somewhat stunned by this info definitely surprised.
Anything else you know about this Sprint ?
Thanks very much !!!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts