El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok guys i have a 72 elky that is generating 15 to 16 volts. so what i have gathered is it should be 14ish. dad says that it also had a miss whenever the gauge would show the voltage creeping up on it. so it was parked and troubleshot a bit. after swaping out the regulator 3 times and the alternator 3 times it still persisted enough in fact that it burnt up the hot wire to the starter. every one of those new parts were bench tested before and after install and were ok. anythoughts? so if the regulator is doing its job is it possible of backfeeding volts after the regulator? also can anyone explain the miss at the higher voltage?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,785 Posts
Like I mentioned in your other thread on the same problem when the voltage goes too high and you still have a points distributor the points would start arching and cause a miss.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks 464....wasnt sure if the new members section was the right place to ask that so i made one here. ill be looking into that what you said.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
20 Posts
like 464 said. the higher voltage can affect the points in the dist.

if you are burning up the starter wire, you have issuses. you should go online and get a wiring diag and see if anyone has played with the wiring at sometime. a good place to start.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,348 Posts
Is this a one-wire alternator?

Well, whether it is or not, you need to be sure you have a good ground on the alternator and motor.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,535 Posts
First, a question - what did you use to measure the voltage? If it's the voltmeter in the dash, try a digital voltmeter.

Second, overvoltage will not burn up the cable going to the starter. Too much current draw (short circuit, bad starter, etc.) will burn up a cable. If the cable burned up while you were cranking the engine, the starter is bad. If the cable burned up while the engine was running or off, you had a serious short somewhere.

Just a minute.....which cable burned up? The one from the battery or the one going to the engine and firewall?

The battery cable to the starter is way too big to burn up, so I have to guess it would be the thinner cable that runs to the engine and firewall. It has a fuseable link in it that will burn up when the other end gets shorted to ground.

You REALLY SHOULD replace that fuseable link and not just connect a big wire in its place. The fuseable link is there to prevent catastrophic damage, like a major fire. AZ, O'Reilly, etc. stocks them. Be sure to disconnect the negative battery cable before working on the link wire.

After you replace the link, disconnect the negative battery cable and use an ohmmeter to measure the resistance from the positive battery terminal to ground. It should read fairly high ohms, in the thousands or more. If it reads low, you have a short somewhere. Make sure the doors are closed and the hood light is out since those lights all will read low ohms. Start pulling fuses until the ohmmeter reads high. Then you know which circuit has the short.

Now you can work on the too high a voltage problem.

Jack
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks for all the help guys. as of right now to answer some of the questions im gona hafta go take a look. so far im just relying on phone calls with pops back and forth. im heading down there today or tomorow and will investigate further. i am pretty sure he used a voltmeter when diagnosing and not just the dash gauge. i have a good volt/amp meter ill be taking with me to take a look. thanks again guys
 
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Top