El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, i need to get rid of my 16" rims. The inner lip is rubbing on my upper control arms after the front suspension was rebuilt by the previous owner. they have P225/75R15's all around but they will need to be replaced, though they are drivable. I will send pics on request. I would like to either sell them for $200 or trade them for 17-18" as to avoid the rubbing. PM me with any questions. :beer:

·
Registered
17 Posts
First I would like to know how you got the 255/75 r15s on a 16in rim?
I am mighty confused!

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
hmm, i thought i measured them at 16, must need glasses. I'll go out and check again.
I can'at wait to hear the answer enough thus I think I already know what it's going to be. I don't know much but this is a no, opps let's wait for the answer to get here. darn how far away did you have the car parked??????????????:nanawrench::nanawrench::nanawrench:

·
Registered
17 Posts
GEE, I didn't mean to start a long droneout topic.
I just wanted to find out how to put small tires on big rims.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
woops, thought i had edited the post but i guess it didn't go through :???: But as for the answer, it was my memory/eyes that made the mistake. the wheels ARE 16's but the tires are 225's not 255's. My mistake. :poke:

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
GEE, I didn't mean to start a long droneout topic.
I just wanted to find out how to put small tires on big rims.
Don't worry you did not, I just want to know too. Nothing wrong with that, we are all here to learn and perhaps this is a new product that I did not know about. rango

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Playing the devils advocate here, does anyone else have 16" rims that rub? I have 15's myself, just curious in the event I decide to upgrade.
I don't think 16's should rub. As stated before, the previous owner had rebuilt the front suspension so may have used different sizes of something? Not sure, but that's my guess.

·
Deputy Director, Region 3 PA (west)
1,582 Posts
If the wheels are rubbing the upper control arm, it's likely the backspacing is too great. I had that problem with 15X7 rally wheels with 4 1/4" BS on my '87. I was able to bend the lip of the control arm up a bit with a big crescent wrench and that issue was solved. Then I found my 235/60 tires would rub the frame before the steering reached full lock. Had to switch to 4" BS wheels to cure it. If you like the wheels, possibly try a 1/4" spacer before you give up.

Bill

·
Registered
17 Posts
But how did you get 15in tires on 16 in rims?

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
Rims are measured from the diameter of the bead seat, not the outer edge of the wheel rim. That can account for 1" quite easily.

·
Registered
18 Posts
i have 16's on my 73 w/295/50's on the back and 235/60's up front. look ma no rub.......:You_Rock:

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Um, i don't know, all i know is that the tires are P225/75R15's. I don't know what that translates into, but they are on a 16" rim.
I'm not exactly sure what the P means, but 225 is the tread width in millimeters, 75 means the sidewall is 75% of 225mm, or 168.75 mm, R means radial tire, as opposed to a bias ply tire, and of course 15 means 15 inch wheel.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts