El Camino Central Forum banner

What are your thoughts on these 17" Torq Thrusts on this 84 El Camino?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I recently inherited my grandfather's 1984 El Camino after his passing. I've wanted to keep it in good mechanical order, but I've also wanted to "make it mine". With that said, I wanted to swap out the wheels. Also, I just repainted the frame, upgraded the brakes, bearings, ball joints, removed fender chrome trim, and etc.

I've borrowed these two American Racing Torq Thrust wheels from a friend just to see if I like this look or not. I'm still not sure I like this look. So, what are your thoughts on these 17's??

Below is my (grandfather's) El Camino:

Below: Brake, paint, wheel bearings, ball-joints, shocks, etc replaced

Or, do I just stick with the original 14" factory wheels and BF Goodrich Radial TAs?
NOTE: The below picture is one I snagged of Google only to show factory wheels and tires I'm considering. It is not mine.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
I think both choices look great! As long as the wheel/tire combo is the around the same height, there’s some sidewall and tread and the wheels have a ‘classic’ style and offset I like it. I felt like 14s were ‘ok’ on mine but had seen the15” Monte Carlo N90s on a clean Elky before and felt that they just look a little meaner.
Patrick

·
Registered
1981 400 4-Speed
164 Posts
I can't believe I am saying this, as I am that guy who ALWAYS say's......go the custom mags.
But, given those two particular pictures, the mags work great on the clean top pic, and the factory wheels look best on the SS.
So, I guess it depends on the application???

·
Registered
178 Posts
Really like the Torq Thrusts... That is what I want on my 65. But keep the originals if you feel you want to honor your grandfather. Moth Ball them. The car is in great condition. I don't know if those versions will be a classic someday however. I like concours cars but like to customize my cars.

Reactions: mcpmartin

·
Registered
882 Posts
I can't believe I am saying this, as I am that guy who ALWAYS say's......go the custom mags.
But, given those two particular pictures, the mags work great on the clean top pic, and the factory wheels look best on the SS.
So, I guess it depends on the application???
DITTO

Reactions: bikerlaw

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
personally I like the originals on yours with that paint job it has. but what really matters is what you like. and which El Camino is yours? they have different paint jobs.
The top pic is mine with the Torq Thrusts. The bottom pic is one I found on the Internet. It (bottom) shows the factory wheels (which I still have) and BFG TAs. I also bought the factory air damn which I plan on painting in my garage and installing soon. I appreciate your feedback!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Really like the Torq Thrusts... That is what I want on my 65. But keep the originals if you feel you want to honor your grandfather. Moth Ball them. The car is in great condition. I don't know if those versions will be a classic someday however. I like concours cars but like to customize my cars.
I agree completely. I've always leaned toward the concours style (unmodified). But, if I go the mag wheel route, then I will moth-ball the original wheels should I want to switch back down the road. Thank you for your feedback.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
personally I like the originals on yours with that paint job it has. but what really matters is what you like. and which El Camino is yours? they have different paint jobs.
The very top pic is mine. The bottom one is just an example I found in Google to show the factory wheels with BFG TAs. Just wanted to post pics to compare the two different options.

·
Director Region 6 (FL) - 2017 Founders' Award Reci
4,839 Posts
I like the looks of the Torq Thrusts . The good news is that there are so many cool choices for wheels . Going with the 17 in. wheels will make it possible if you want to put disc brakes on the rear at some point and as you mentioned that finding tires for 14 or 15 in. tires is limited in choices . Removing the chrome on the wheel wells I think is a good idea for looks and reducing the possibility of rust .

·
Ministry of Broke Things
6,649 Posts
I think you can't go wrong either way. It all comes down to which look makes you happy and which wheel/tire combo feels the best on the road. I have these 17x8's on my '72. But I'm also working on a set of stock SS 5 spokes and will be mounting a set of Firestone Wide Ovals so that I can bolt them on when I want a more stock look. The point is, I think you should buy a set of the AR weels AND have the stockers around. A set of wheels and tires can be changed in less than an hour and completely change the look of a vehicle.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I think you can't go wrong either way. It all comes down to which look makes you happy and which wheel/tire combo feels the best on the road. I have these 17x8's on my '72. But I'm also working on a set of stock SS 5 spokes and will be mounting a set of Firestone Wide Ovals so that I can bolt them on when I want a more stock look. The point is, I think you should buy a set of the AR weels AND have the stockers around. A set of wheels and tires can be changed in less than an hour and completely change the look of a vehicle.

View attachment 136436
Good point, and I like the way you think! Nothing wrong with multiple pairs of shoes.

·
Registered
248 Posts
I personally prefer the looks of the originals. They'll also ride better with all that rubber. The TT's I think are the wrong color choice for your car, it doesn't fit. Black or chrome would be a better choice. The TT's will definitely handle better, stiffer sidewalls.
So is your car a Caddy or a Corvette? Just cruise around in comfort or run around like a chicken missing its head?
Rim/tires change a heap more than just looks and attitude 💪

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
I personally prefer the looks of the originals. They'll also ride better with all that rubber. The TT's I think are the wrong color choice for your car, it doesn't fit. Black or chrome would be a better choice. The TT's will definitely handle better, stiffer sidewalls.
So is your car a Caddy or a Corvette? Just cruise around in comfort or run around like a chicken missing its head?
Rim/tires change a heap more than just looks and attitude 💪
Heh?? My Camino came from the factory with dark grey and silver outlined OEM wheels. Not sure why you think grey would look bad. Like I said, these Torq Thrusts were borrowed from a friend to test-fit and see if I like the size, fitment, and overall look. Not to ruffle feathers, but grey was an intended color choice by Chevy. Just say'n.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Here is my 66. 17x8 225/50/17 all four corners.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Heh?? My Camino came from the factory with dark grey and silver outlined OEM wheels. Not sure why you think grey would look bad. Like I said, these Torq Thrusts were borrowed from a friend to test-fit and see if I like the size, fitment, and overall look. Not to ruffle feathers, but grey was an intended color choice by Chevy. Just say'n.
I just think that grey on the rims coupled with that LT brown color of the car looks sorta blah. Just my opinion, since you asked for it. I think chrome TT's or black TT's with chrome sides would really stand out and accent the car heaps better. A focal point.

·
Registered
10 Posts
STOCK SUCKS, go with the TTs or any other nice 17, no bigger than 17. Stock AINT bringing the money anymore. If you watched the recent B-J auction, restomods are favored anymore. A 62 Lincoln Continental with a modern Hemi drivetrain and fugly wheels went for around the same 6 figure as a stock Buick GNX. Even restomodded Corvettes are bringing in double that of a stocker. And it doesn’t much matter what year. About the only G-body Elco that MIGHT be worth a little extra would be a Choo Choo. I’ve actually made my 79 into A WAGON. Every body panel has a custom change. Wheel and tire IMPROVENT IS A MUST DO.

·
Registered
882 Posts
STOCK SUCKS, go with the TTs or any other nice 17, no bigger than 17. Stock AINT bringing the money anymore. If you watched the recent B-J auction, restomods are favored anymore. A 62 Lincoln Continental with a modern Hemi drivetrain and fugly wheels went for around the same 6 figure as a stock Buick GNX. Even restomodded Corvettes are bringing in double that of a stocker. And it doesn’t much matter what year. About the only G-body Elco that MIGHT be worth a little extra would be a Choo Choo. I’ve actually made my 79 into A WAGON. Every body panel has a custom change. Wheel and tire IMPROVENT IS A MUST DO.
Post some pictures of your ride. It sounds neat.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts