El Camino Central Forum banner

What are your thoughts on these 17" Torq Thrusts on this 84 El Camino?

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
I recently inherited my grandfather's 1984 El Camino after his passing. I've wanted to keep it in good mechanical order, but I've also wanted to "make it mine". With that said, I wanted to swap out the wheels. Also, I just repainted the frame, upgraded the brakes, bearings, ball joints, removed fender chrome trim, and etc.

I've borrowed these two American Racing Torq Thrust wheels from a friend just to see if I like this look or not. I'm still not sure I like this look. So, what are your thoughts on these 17's??
View attachment 136409

Below is my (grandfather's) El Camino:

View attachment 136410
View attachment 136411
View attachment 136412
View attachment 136413

Below: Brake, paint, wheel bearings, ball-joints, shocks, etc replaced

View attachment 136414
View attachment 136415

Or, do I just stick with the original 14" factory wheels and BF Goodrich Radial TAs?
NOTE: The below picture is one I snagged of Google only to show factory wheels and tires I'm considering. It is not mine.

View attachment 136416
I like the factory wheels. If anyone knows where to find a set of factory Wheels like them please let me know!

·
Premium Member
2,088 Posts
From day one I was never a fan of the GM Rally Sport wheels, so I'd likely change them. Torque Thrust is a safe choice...a million people use them on a million different cars. The downside is they are used by a million people on a million different cars. Were it me, I'd change them, but for something other than Torque Thrust. BUT, most importantly, it's your car - YOU get the wheels YOU like and think look best on YOUR car.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Post some pictures of your ride. It sounds neat.
On G-body Forum my build thread is listed as Elco 300 Utility Wagon . As for wheels I went with 5 spoke Vision (Hurst) Dazzler in gold. I can relate to the TTs being overused. I feel the same way about cowl hoods.

·
Registered
883 Posts
The most important thing is to get what YOU like. That is all that matters.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Nice job on the brakes you'll never regret that I like the 17th it's a good look for your car take everyone's personal preferences but do what turns you on and yes of course mothball your Originals also I did not read everyone's input with that said take any technical information about possible incompatibility seriously good luck

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #26 (Edited)
Okay, I've had a suspicion that making a few modifications would improve the appearance of the American Racing Torq Thrusts. I removed fender trim, repainted the fender wells, brakes & rotors, replaced shocks, welded up new exhaust, etc. After replacing the worn out rear air shocks, it's finally sitting normal again in the rear. Here are the updated pics. I think it looks noticeably different now, so I thought I'd share. Thoughts?

Attachments

·
Registered
90 Posts
Excellent, I personally like the way they look without wheelwel trim. I'll also throw this out there and probably catch hell for it, if you paint it take the bed rails off and fill the holes. Controversial I know that's just how I feel. Looks great man.

·
Registered
883 Posts
Very nice. Definitely an improvement.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Excellent, I personally like the way they look without wheelwel trim. I'll also throw this out there and probably catch hell for it, if you paint it take the bed rails off and fill the holes. Controversial I know that's just how I feel. Looks great man.
I hear ya. I've grown to appreciate the bedrails for functional reasons, but the overall appearance is more sleek and streamlined without them. If and when I repaint it, I'll probably take them off.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts