El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11,510 Posts
all tanks are the same size externally. they are determined to be 17 or 22 gal by where the venting is located inside the tank.

:poke:

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i thought i read that the filler tube is located in diffrent places on the 17 or 22 gallon tanks?

·
Supporting Member
4,475 Posts
I just measured the 17 gal tank I have in the garage. The filler neck is exactly 1" from the top of the tank. When I get a chance, I'll put the Elky on the lift and measure the 22" tank.

·
Registered
201 Posts
If your car still has the factory option code sticker in the glovebox, I found this on the El Camino store website:

To find out if an El Camino has a 17 or 22 gallon tank, check the option sticker located in the glove box. A 22 gallon equipped El Camino will be listed with N23 option. A 17 gallon car will not list a code as it is considered standard equipment.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I just measured the 17 gal tank I have in the garage. The filler neck is exactly 1" from the top of the tank. When I get a chance, I'll put the Elky on the lift and measure the 22" tank.
yeah if you could measure the 22 for me that would be greaat. if i had a 17 gallon tank with a 22gal sending unit the gauge is going to read off right?

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
does anyone have a known good sending unit that they would sell to me?

·
Supporting Member
4,475 Posts
yeah if you could measure the 22 for me that would be greaat. if i had a 17 gallon tank with a 22gal sending unit the gauge is going to read off right?
A 22 gal sending unit in a 17 gal tank will not read full. It will read empty properly. Between empty and full, you will always have slightly less in the tank than is showing on the gauge. For example, when the tank is 1/2 full, the gauge will show about .4 full ( 77% ratio). When you are approaching empty, it will get closer to accurate.

Conversely, if you use a 17 gal sending unit in a 22 gal tank, it will show full for a long time, and then start to go down. At 1/2 full on the tank, you would still be showing 2/3 of a tank on the gauge. Again, as you approach empty, it will get more accurate.

Once you learn how to "Read" your gauge, you can get by with either one. Most important is Empty, and as you approach 1/4 full, go get some more gas!

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
okay then ill just order the cheaper 22 gal one and i can know when its empty. thanks alot!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts