El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for ideas on what owners may have done for seat replacement in 1959-1960 El Caminos. I do have the original seat but thinking about doing something with a more modern seat. Has anyone that owns one of the jewels done something that is clean and works well.

Thanks for any info in advance.

·
Director Region 6 (FL) - 2017 Founders' Award Reci
4,686 Posts
Looking for ideas on what owners may have done for seat replacement in 1959-1960 El Caminos. I do have the original seat but thinking about doing something with a more modern seat. Has anyone that owns one of the jewels done something that is clean and works well.

Thanks for any info in advance.
It has been many years since I had a 59 Chevy but I recall getting bucket seats and a center console out of a wrecked 60`s Oldsmobile . Upholstery was a little off so I had it rolled and pleated . It took a little drilling but got the seats in ok . Hopefully you will be able to learn from others on what other seats from others cars that may bolt in . In the meantime I suggest looking at a number of sites such as Jeg`s , Summit and there are SO many seat manufactures available with a Google search . The " Search Feature " , here at ECC should bring up additional info for you . In my 87 I have the Procar Rally 1000 seats from Summit Racing that are comfortable and ordered the seat tracks that were truly just bolt in . Hotcamino here in Florida has some sweet looking Camino seats out of an earlier Camino or maybe a Malibu that swivel out to exit the Camino .

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply... I have the original seat all intact... it is pretty bland. Was hoping someone did something with late model seats like from a Cadillac or something.

·
Premium Member
1,541 Posts
You can "imagineer" your way to an answer with a good tape measure, measurement notes regarding where your floor support braces are located and a trip to your local junk yard.

Seriously, that is how these kinds of fabrication decisions are made. I walked around 4-5 different yards when I acquired my seats out of a 1995 Pontiac Grand Prix SE and bought them for twenty bucks each.

I stuck with only GM vehicles in doing my measurements but I could have certainly broadened my search to other manufacturers. I briefly considered going with electric seats but couldn't find any of a decent quality and size that would work.

My 1970 bench seat was like sitting on a park bench granite slab. I had to do something with different seating and luckily, I got an armrest with some storage with the Grand Prix seats.

Rick

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
581 Posts
i have a pair of leather bucket seats from an early '90 caddy...very comfortable. i've heard that '80-'90's caddy seats are wide and plush along with some out of Crown Vics

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You can "imagineer" your way to an answer with a good tape measure, measurement notes regarding where your floor support braces are located and a trip to your local junk yard.

Seriously, that is how these kinds of fabrication decisions are made. I walked around 4-5 different yards when I acquired my seats out of a 1995 Pontiac Grand Prix SE and bought them for twenty bucks each.

I stuck with only GM vehicles in doing my measurements but I could have certainly broadened my search to other manufacturers. I briefly considered going with electric seats but couldn't find any of a decent quality and size that would work.

My 1970 bench seat was like sitting on a park bench granite slab. I had to do something with different seating and luckily, I got an armrest with some storage with the Grand Prix seats.

Rick

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
That 1959 seat looks like it came out of a stagecoach.... I will hang on to it but if driving around it would be nice to get something that will be a little more plusher. Thanks for the ideas.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i have a pair of leather bucket seats from an early '90 caddy...very comfortable. i've heard that '80-'90's caddy seats are wide and plush along with some out of Crown Vics
That sounds like exactly what I am looking for.... did you put them in a 1959? If so was it much work to fabricate around to making them work?

·
Registered
581 Posts
i put them (out of a '91 Cad. Biarritz) in an '84, but still had to modify the mounting slightly, they fit perfect. the pass. side back folds all the way flat which is nice but it can go only about half way.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts