El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
932 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2 years ago I purchased 2 really rough el caminos to build one ,with every thing else going on in life I haven't had a chance to really work on this project yet Yesterday I finally took the body off the one parts car/truck , took a few photos of the frame ,its in pretty good shape considering the age . Going to be a long time until this one is done but glad that I am finally starting some work on it

Attachments

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
the 59 is my all time favorite.very cool sweet cars.good luck with your build,would love to see it done

·
932 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
After the wettest june in over 3 decades (rained 21 days) we are finally getting some nice weather so taking the oppurtunity when I can to get some work started on my 59 el camino . The other day I cut up my parts car and piled it to the side of the yard so I can start on my big 59 project. Pictures are early this afternoon 59 on frame, next picture is this evening after rad support , fender , inner fender removed and the body off the frame and on saw horses, And final picture is the 2 59 frames I have , will have to decide which frame to use. This vehicle is pretty rough , will never be a show car but I will turn it back into a driver ,

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
2,147 Posts
Leo,

Here's my two cents, even though you didn't ask for it. The frame should have the VIN number stamped into it. If the original frame is straight and cancer free, you are better off using that to complete the truck. Otherwise, you might have questions as to why they do not match.

·
VINTAGE MOTORHEAD
4,102 Posts
I have always wanted a 59. Certainly a milestone vehicle for Chevrolet back in the day. I hope to buy one for myself when I grow up. Gotta be black like Brian's...

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
1959, what a great year!! there was some great person born that year as well.. oh yeah me,,, I would just about trade my 55 chevy 210 for a 59 Camino,, just about,, keep the updates comin`!! matty man

·
932 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well found a bit of time to start cleaning up the frame , basically decided to do it in 3 sections , today I worked on the middle section , cut off all the brackets for exhaust that have been added over the years plus the home made z bar linkage holder. I took all the surface rust off with a 40 grit flap disk on the grinder and a wire wheel on the drill .sprayed some rust converter on the bare metal , washed it off and then painted it wwith VHT chassis satin black paint . NOw just have to find time to do the other sections .

Attachments

·
932 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well started doing the first patch panels on the 59 , quarter is pretty rusty , not to mention dents on every panel , pictures of before , cutting open the quarter panel and seeing 53 years of dirt , last picture a couple patches in place , will still need another day or two to finish the patch work on this quarter . still looks pretty bad but I am happy to have the first patches in place ,step in the right diretion.

Attachments

·
932 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Found some time this afternoon to do some patching , I have done my share of flat panel patches in cars and changed a few quarter panels but I have never built a wheel well lip before ,so I figured I would try it out today .I have met guys that master this style of work but I have to admit I was a bit apprehensive about trying this as the guys that do this have a lot more bodywork skill then I possess . First thing I did was make a template out of card board ,I then drew the template on 1x6 wood and cut the shape out with a jigsaw. I took a flat piece of metal and sandwiched it between the two pieces of wood in a vice leaving at least n inch of material hanging out . I hammered the lip over working from the middle outwords just a little at a time until I had the whole lip bent over. After the lip was bent 90 degress I marked the size of the lip and trimmed the bottom off . I measured and marked the flat face side of the lip and used a hand brake to bend the slight bend above the lip ,I had to hammer and dolly the curve into the piece . After cutting the piece to size I used a punch flange on the existing quarter panel sheet metal that the patch would match up against ,then welded the patch into place . Of course i nicked my freshly made piece with my grinder so some body filler will be required . Overall I am pretty content with my patch I made today though I would still be a bit apprehensive showing someone that does this type of work for a living. But the 59 is slowly taking shape

Attachments

·
Registered
203 Posts
Sweet project! - I love the 59's, Looking forward to seeing it finished :You_Rock:

·
932 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sweet project! - I love the 59's, Looking forward to seeing it finished :You_Rock:

I can not wait until this beast is done but within a couple months the rainy season will be back and it will be put on hold until next year . I envy the people that own a garage .Just have to make sure I get as much done as I can in the next couple months.

·
Premium Member
718 Posts
Iam on board with the others the 59 is a sweet looking truck. thanks for taking the time to keep us posted

·
932 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Iam on board with the others the 59 is a sweet looking truck. thanks for taking the time to keep us posted
I love all el caminos but the 59 has to be my all time favorite , I am lucky to get my hands on this one even as rough as it is . I have seen a few rough 59s under $2000 each in the United States in the last month so they are still out there for those ambitious enough to take on a project of this magnitude

·
932 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Leo,

Here's my two cents, even though you didn't ask for it. The frame should have the VIN number stamped into it. If the original frame is straight and cancer free, you are better off using that to complete the truck. Otherwise, you might have questions as to why they do not match.

Where I am at they will not care much about serial numbers on the frame , because it was an imported vehicle it will have to go through an inspection before it can go back on the road but I have documentation for 2 different 59s , one with title that can be registered and another one that is to be used as parts .I ended up picking the better of the two frames as the other did have some damage .

·
Registered
38 Posts
Will be a nice ride! Besides the 1970 and 1977 the 59s are my fav:nanawrench: Thanks for posting progress - it encourages me to turn of the idiot box and get out into my garage.

·
932 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
good luck to you, i have an 82 as a prject myself although it is nearly already completed.
Thanks , I really regret getting rid of my 1980 caballero diablo , could have easily fixed the damage but was just sick ofhaving too many projects around . Look forward to seeing your 82

1 - 20 of 29 Posts