El Camino Central Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, I'm planning on refurbishing all the front end rubber, so the whole lot has to come out - upper and lower arms, ball joints, etc.
In parallel, I am upgrading the brake system to include a JEGS 11" booster and a 1" bore Master cylinder with proportioning valve. From what I've seen on older threads, this is the desired set up for going from manual to power upgrades with front discs and rear drums.
After I get the new booster installed and run all the lines, When I "bench bleed" the Master, is there a method for bleeding the proportioning valve as well so I don't run into "no flow" issues I see other guys having?

Second issue is more concerning. Front rotors on a '64 are not a stock option and I would like to replace them. Does anyone have any ideas how I can identify what the P.O. may have installed? The rotors are stamped GM20 / 2429 / J252 and have a 2.085 OD Dust Cap. I have done a number of internet searches, but can't figure out what these are nor where they might have been used '67 to '70 chevelle maybe?
Looking at all of the control arms and the like, it looks like everything there is original. Can I measure the spindles or something to give me an idea where to start looking for replacements?
I'd really like not to have to start over and replace everything with an aftermarket upgrade kit, but if I can't ID what these are & where they may have been initially used, I may have to go that route.
Any help / suggestions would be appreciated!

Ole Yeller

·
Registered
214 Posts
On the inside hub area there should be casting numbers that should help with identifying the part. I would look at 68 through 72 Chevelle to start since that would have been the easiest option. What kind of calipers do you have sliding pin single piston or 4 piston cast iron.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hello again, so, i've been doing a bit of research but still not 100% on what I have here.
The casting numbers on the two front spindles are 459755/459756 - I've seen a few posts on various sites that describe these as early GM spindles, but having a heck of a time finding rotors that will fit them.
The calipers (casting #308) are large, single piston type with bolt-type slides. Anyone have any experience with this type of set up that can offer some advice?

·
Registered
214 Posts
Thanks for the reply!
So, you're pretty confident that if I order rotors/bearings/seals for an 81 Monte or Elky, they will fit?
I'll hit the parts store this afternoon to check!
If the info you gave me is correct they should be those spindles. How about some pictures of the spindles. Or the casting number that is usually located on the inside of the hub area.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts