El Camino Central Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to remove the door from my 1965 el camino and don't have any help,but I have no idea how heavy the door is. I saw a video a guy took a door off a chevelle by himself and he wasn't struggling,but the door didn't have any parts in it and didn't have the add'l material that my 65 has (framework around window/vent window).My door has everything in it /on it(window,vent window handles etc) Do I need a jack or something to help support it during removal or is it not that heavy? I've never felt a car door as far as what they weigh. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
9,508 Posts
I used a door jack on my 78. It wasn't very spendy to buy, the I did the work by myself..

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks. I have the crossbeam attachment (or whatever it's called) from harbor freight that fits on their jacks and I'm going to rig something up so the crossbeam will be under the door and I'm going to have some sort of setup so 4 x 4's will be on each side of the door to keep it from tipping.

·
Premium Member
4,936 Posts
If your paint maters to you, tape the door and the rear of the front fender.
It might save you from a couple of chips, yet you still need to keep sharp eyes on all edges.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
the paint is somewhere around 40 years old but I'll keep it in mind. I've had it about 35 years. I have a previous post from a few years back. My lower and upper windshield channels are about gone and I need the pillar covers off and to get the screws under the fender I need the fender out of the way. So I got the fenders detached and I go to the 2 bolts behind the front tires down at the rocker panel and it's just smooth steel down there. I think they either welded or bondo'd them on down there because they will not move at all down there. The inner fender and other steel down there is kind of folded over each other and there's braze there. So I read someone said they just pulled there fenders away from the body enough to get to the screws but the bracket for the fender inside on the upper door jamb hits the door by about 1/4 " or so and I can't move the fender towards the front of the vehicle because it is somehow attached down below. I'd rather take out the hinge pins if possible so I don't have to mess with the hinge alignment because now my doors open and close really good. I'm hoping get the doors out of the way and hopefully pull the fender away enough to get the 2 screws of the pillar covers. On top of all that I really have no idea what I'm doing. I finally broke down and went to talk to a custom body shop that works on older stuff but that was 2 weeks ago and the guy still hasn't gotten a hold of me. He did say they were pretty busy. I told him I'd give him $2500 to get started and see how far he gets. I have about 1/3 of the lower channel cut out ,have the new pieces ,fenders ready to come off if need be except for where they're attached behind the tire. I told him basicly want the new channel installed along with a couple pieces of the patch that goes between the channel and the dash because the rotting went up onto the dash in a few spots. I have a eastwood welder 140 mig or whatever but don't know how to weld so I thought I'd learn to weld with this project but the way things are going...that's why I went to see the guys at that shop. They only opened the place a couple years ago but they're probably abhout 40 years oold. They have some nice looking finished projects there from time to time. When I first talked to them it was just "I need the fenders off" but the other day is when I said the cash offer and you weld in the pieces.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts