El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

I have a 65 l77 package I picked up earlier this year. The po had the engine rebuilt and runs smooth. I've had issues with the carb (it's the original 4 barrel). The stock motor is the 283 and the l77 power pack had the 4b carb.

I want to fix the carb issue and hopefully use the stock air cleaner/setup. Car is all stock and I like the look and would hope to keep that look. My options are to change the carb and try to fit the original air cleaner if not possible then rebuilt. But I'd like sone advice.

I ordered an edelbrock 1403 but was adviced an adapter plate would be needed plus an issue would arise since the diameter of the carb is bigger than the original air cleaner. In addition a riser would be needed. Possibly a manifold.

Can anyone recommend if edelbrock or Holley have an easy setup? What would be needed to get it to work? Any direct bolt on?

Second question is would you guys have the original carb rebuilt instead of getting a new one?

Thanks! Sorry for the long post.

·
Deputy Director Site Contributor
1,455 Posts
Z,
If you want to keep the truck original get the carb rebuilt. I know a guy who has a carb guy in El Cajon. I can get you the info on Friday night, That will be the next time I see him.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi big Al. Thank you. The ideal scenario would be to keep it as original as I can. If you have a contact that would be great. I found a carb exchange place nearby that can rebuild your core or start with a new one. But if you have one that's recommended than that would be a nice option.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
35 Posts
I would rebuild it.
is the finish good on the carb? is that a concern? If originality is your concern that is your choice.
4GC Rochesters have no equal in mounting pattern, adapter is required

If it were me I would obtain a newer intake with spreadbore pattern and an air cleaner and use a Q-Jet or preferably a 4175 holley spreadbore.
I have done this to several earlier Small blocks. most recently a '65 C10

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi Keith,

I returned the edelbrock 1403 because the pattern was off. You're right, the mounting pattern was off . In addition, the primaries on the edelbrock were different sizes v all 4 being the same.

I looked at the Holley and I couldn't find a direct fit for a 283 engine (I think the 327 is the same).

I think I'll rebuild or get a rebuilt one for now and save the original in a box. In the future I might consider a different manifold.

Thanks!

·
Deputy Director Site Contributor
1,455 Posts
Neon,
Ok here you go....
Rick Walker PH. 619-449-8018.

He worked on a friends 85 quadrajet and has been pleased with it ever since.

I hope this works out for you.

·
Premium Member
2,002 Posts
The Edelbroke carbs are a monumental PITA,, you are wise deciding to send it back and rebuilding the original Q-jet. The Q-jet is somewhat of it's own animal and parts / pieces are not always easy to find,, but WELL WORTH the effort. When it's 'RIGHT' there is no better 'all around' carb ever made. Sure a big mechanical secondary Holley may offer a bit more performance AT THE TRACK (if tuned right),, but the vacuum secondary system in the Q-jet is second to NONE (Holley, Carter or Edelbrock) and is the best compromise of performance and efficiency ever built IMO (for a carb that is).
There are a number of guys around the internet with great reputation in building them..
Sean at MountianMan carbs (SE),
The CarbShop in Northern Cali,
Damon Nichols in Mi,,,
just to name a few...

Be patient and stick with it,, in the end you'll be happy.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi Guys,

Thanks for all the input. I appreciate it. So I went ahead and found a carb exchange shop near my house. They advertise that they tune the carb on a live engine before handing it over. I opted to keep my core and bought a newly rebuilt Rochester. I figured if it fails than I'd have mine as a back to rebuild.

The pros: car sounds good. It idles better and seems to not be running as rich.

Cons and advice: stutter when aggressively hitting the gas pedal.
I need some more advice though. I'm not sure if I should take the carb back (I have a 60 day time period where they'll rebuilt or refund me the one I purchased). Or if I should tweak with it. So here's my dilemna.

I start the car Saturday morning (60 degrees) I let the car warm for 3-4 min and when I tap the gas in my parking to lower the idle the car hesitates. So quick Taps cause a stutter while revving parked. When I ease into the pedal it drives fine and doesn't hesitate while parked.

I seem to have the same issue when the car has been driven for about 10 miles or so. Engine is warm and if I'm aggressive off the light than I get the same hesitation. However, if I ease into the peddle than that problem is gone.

So, my question is this .... What's causing this issue? Does the choke need to be adjusted? Would you guys take advantage of the 60 day policy and swap this carb out? My previous carb did this on occasion. However if I let it warm for 3 min than I would almost always avoid this issue.

Looking for some advice.

·
Registered
823 Posts
I'm not trying to get down on anyone's case but for life of me I can't understand why people have so many carb issues? Rebuilding your own carb isn't like rebuilding a transmission and just about anyone can do it. I think people tend to make it a bigger issue that it really is.

If your carb is giving you a problems; get a kit, take it apart, clean it, and install the rebuild kit. Odds are you will solve the problem and if not your only out 20 bucks and no worse off than you where to begin with.

:dontknow:

·
Premium Member
4,664 Posts
I'm not trying to get down on anyone's case but for life of me I can't understand why people have so many carb issues? Rebuilding your own carb isn't like rebuilding a transmission and just about anyone can do it. I think people tend to make it a bigger issue that it really is.

If your carb is giving you a problems; get a kit, take it apart, clean it, and install the rebuild kit. Odds are you will solve the problem and if not your only out 20 bucks and no worse off than you where to begin with.

:dontknow:
A note: You put it back together in the opposite way you took it apart. THINK! :poke:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts