El Camino Central Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi All, I currently have a 2004R in my 1966 El Camino. The tranny is toast. I have a TH350 I want to install. From what I've read I'll have to install a different transmission crossmember as well as a different kickdown cable. I've read I should also replace the oil cooler as it is contaminated from the 200R4 going out (or can I flush it out really well, if so, how?). Can I reuse the oil cooler lines or should I replace those as well? If I can reuse them will they match up to the TH350? Is the linkage to the column shifter the same? What about the dipstick tube? Is it the same? Anything else I need to address?

If you have any of the parts I'm going to need for the conversion I'd be glad to buy them off of you. Let me know what you want including shipping to 92104.

Thanks!

·
Registered
12,536 Posts
the cross member mount will be close to the same distance..

t350 can have 3 different length tail housings,, 6", 9", 12".. check the drive shaft length..

the cooling lines will be backwards,, on the t350 the bottom is the pressure line, top is return..

I would get the right dip stick for a t350..

the kick down cable is different, and will need to be adjusted, maybe? a different cable holder bracket???

as for cleaning the cooler/lines,,
flush them real good 3-4 times with solvent, blow them out with a air compressor in-between flushes..
then blow them out thru a clean white rag, and look for contaminants, when in doubt replace the cooler.. :eh:

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info. I bought a "short shaft" TH350. It should be a drop in replacement for the 2004R. I have frame rail extensions like in this post (http://www.elcaminocentral.com/showthread.php?t=42528&highlight=2004R+TH350) so should be able to easily reposition the crossmember. I'll be purchasing a new dipstick tube, kickdown cable, and oil cooler. I'm thinking of installing a B&M Mega Shifter. I can't wait to get this puppy on the road!

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Th350 ftw!!!

For future reference:

When I purchased my '66 El Camino it had a 2004R transmission. I pulled this transmission out and replaced it with a TH350 as the 2004R was slipping. Eventually I will rebuild it.

The transmission was a direct replacement. I only had to move the transmission crossmember about 6" forward. Since I had extension rails I was just able to unbolt the crossmember and move it forward to what appeared to be factory bolt holes in the frame. Everything lined right. The driveshaft fit perfectly and did not have to be modified.

I had to remove the metal oil cooler lines as I was unable to bend them to fit the TH350. I replaced them with rubber lines and made sure to fasten them so that they don't get close to the headers or any other hot part.

I replaced the oil cooler with a new one.

I ended up getting a steel braided dipstick tube as I read about how difficult it was to install a metal tube one. It was super easy to install the braided one. It fastens to one of the transmission housing bolts used to connect the transmission to the engine.

I bought a Lokar TH350 kickdown cable but for some reason the kickdown rod from the tranny jams where the Lokar unit connects to the tranny. I ended up just disconnected the kickdown cable from the carb.

I installed a B&M Megashifter. It's awesome. In fact, I don't need a kickdown cable. I can easily shift down when I want. It's fun to operate so I don't mind having to do it manually.

I must have lucked out on my used tranny purchase. It shifts perfectly. It's firm and quick and doesn't slip. I can now lay down serious rubber in first and when shifting to second gear. Sweet!

This tool was invaluable, not only for removing and installing the transmission, but also for removing and installing the exhaust system. I did the entire swap myself with two 2 foot jack stands and this tool in my garage.

http://www.harborfreight.com/450-lb-capacity-transmission-jack-39178.html

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.