El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, I have a 66 camino with the power assist booster on the manual brakes and I am having a problem that I hope you could help give me some ideas on how to handle.
I replaced all of the brakes (hardware, pads & hoses) recently and bled them following the factory manual procedures. I have good resistance on the brakes while the car is off but as soon as I turn it on the brake pedal heads for the floor and I do not get actuation of the brakes until right near the end. Is this a booster issue? Vacuum to the booster issue? Still air in the lines? or something else? Thanks in advance for any ideas.
Jason

·
Premium Member
5,711 Posts
Start with the free stuff. Low pedal on drum brakes is usually adjustment.

Manually adjust the brakes up to where you just can't turn them by hand. That is when you know you actually have them out where they need to be and then back the star off 3 - 4 clicks until they just have a little drag. Go all the way around - order doesn't matter.

Let us know.

·
Premium Member
1,223 Posts
My guess, is that yes, its a booster problem. My 70 does that a little but not so much. The adjustment clevis at the brake pedal allowed me to raise the pedal a little to compensate.

Does it feel that you have power brakes when you finally get to a pedal position that applies the brakes?

Rick

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Is the push rod seated all the way in the hole? There are two kinds of masters. One with a deep hole and one with a shallow hole.. I would look at this area..

1 - 5 of 5 Posts