El Camino Central Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a 1966 el camino and would like help on the operation of the window wiper motor and washer. the washer never has worked correctly so i decided to take it of the firewall, clean it and try to find out why it would not work. it appears to be it only needs a new diaphram kit. when i put the system back together the wipers work but they wont park when i turn the wipers off. i dont remember if they did have a auto park. can some one exlain to me how my 1966 wipers should work so i can trouble shoot them. the switch on the dash is a three position switch. 1.) off 2.) low speed 3.) high speed . the switch also has a button in the center when pushed it energizes the washer pump. pumps a few times and turns off. thanks in advance.

· Registered
2,075 Posts
#1 Make absolutely sure that there is a good ground from the wiper motor assy to the body.
One of the wiper mounting bushings originally had a small strap that connected both of the washers together oso that there would be a good electrical connection from the motor to the body.

What happens when you turn on the switch is a set of points will close, and these points have absolutely nothing to do with the motor running. They do however have something to do with turning the motor off.

When the motor is running, it is grounded thru the switch to the dash
when you turn the wipers off, the points remain closed and are connected to the main body of the motor. When the motor reaches "park" position, the points open and the motor stops.

Wiper motor MUST be grounded to the body to work properly.

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks , i ll try to find where the groud is. i do remember that two out of three of the attachment bolts snapped and i had to drill out the broken screws. i then installed two new bolts through the mtr / frame . maybe this is where the ground should have been. didnt see any wires left when i put the motor bake . ill look again. thanks!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.