El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,722 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

"MotorTrend's Robert Schilling tested two Chevelle SS hardtops and an El Camino—all 396-powered—for the magazine's July 1967 issue"

·
Registered
18 Posts
As an owner of a 67 Elco, I REALLY enjoyed this article. It was honest, informative and provided information one doesn't normally hear, due to the passage of time.
I think it was a MUST READ for an owner of a 67 Elco or Chevelle.
The ONE BLARING THING that I thought was shocking to hear was the pairing with a 396 and a Powerglide trans. But that trans was an option on the big block.

But a BIG MISTAKE I've seen in owners/ restorers/ sellers is the installation of the 400 trans on the big block, when the 400 WAS NOT available in the Chevelle nor El Camino in 1967. The 350 trans was the biggest auto available but I've seen MANY restorations with the 400 installed and the owners or vendors claiming (LYING) that it was "original from the factory".

·
Registered
3,722 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
As an owner of a 67 Elco, I REALLY enjoyed this article. It was honest, informative and provided information one doesn't normally hear, due to the passage of time.
I think it was a MUST READ for an owner of a 67 Elco or Chevelle.
The ONE BLARING THING that I thought was shocking to hear was the pairing with a 396 and a Powerglide trans. But that trans was an option on the big block.

But a BIG MISTAKE I've seen in owners/ restorers/ sellers is the installation of the 400 trans on the big block, when the 400 WAS NOT available in the Chevelle nor El Camino in 1967. The 350 trans was the biggest auto available but I've seen MANY restorations with the 400 installed and the owners or vendors claiming (LYING) that it was "original from the factory".
Don't know how accurate this is but......

Super Turbine 400 / THM400 / THM375 / 3L80 / 3L80HD
First introduced for the 1964 model year under the name "Turbo Hydra-Matic" in Cadillacs and "Super Turbine" in Buicks. The following year, application expanded to Oldsmobile and Pontiac and to some full-sized Chevrolets

THM350
The Turbo Hydra-matic 350 was first used in 1969 model cars.

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
I always kind of liked the Powerglide behind a big torquer like the 427/454, so long as it has a smooth idling, street camshaft... Nothing like going 35 and flooring it while pulling it down into L..

1 - 6 of 6 Posts