El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
my 67 has power drum brakes on all 4 corners. I want to put discs up front. I found this kit at summit that also drops the front end with lowering spindles which i wanted anyway.
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-bk1501-ds/recommendedparts

Few questions
-Will I be able to clear 14" or 15" wheels?
-Do I even need a new brake booster? (i assume i do need a new proportioning valve as discs need more pressure)
-Do I need to replace the brake lines or will the stock lines that came with power drum work?

·
Premium Member
1,223 Posts
That kit comes with a new brake booster and if yours is original or at all questionable, I'd replace it. I replaced all of my lines due to internal rust and blockage.

Hard to predict on your wheel fit question. I had to go to 15 inch wheels with my kit from "The Right Stuff" but there are kits out there that can handle a 14 inch wheel.

Rick

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Swapping to discs you will need,

-Proportion valve on the rear line. I would use the adjustable.

-Metering valve on the front line. This prevents nose dive during hard braking.

-Master cyl for disc/drum car, I always used one from a 68-72 Pontiac Bonneville.

Look at the depth of the hole when the rod goes in the master, there are two styles, deep and shallow.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for all the tips guys.
On reading further most sites show that 11" and bigger rotors will require at least 15" wheels. I wanted new wheels anyway...

Pits i THINK everything you mentioned except replacing the proportion value on the rear is included in the kits. no?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Drum to Disc Conversion

I was thinking about buying this summit kit as well for my 1964 El Camino with drum brakes however I was recommended to go to a salvage yard to find 1998-2002 Camaro for dual piston calipers and caliper brackets. The summit kit has single piston calipers. I plan to use the stock spindle and front drum hubs but will have to take the hubs to a machine shop so the camaro 12 inch rotors can fit onto it. Flynbye sells spindle brackets. If using 2" drop spindles I think the tie rod may hit the wheel depending on the size of your wheels.
Eventually I'll probably get 15 inch or 17x8 wheels, depending on the best deal I find, I may upgrade to 13 inch rotors in the future.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, at this point I think using drop spindles are a bad idea and i will just go with drop springs.
I'm still not decided on which way I will go for the conversion kit

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
I would use the lowered springs over the spindles. GM spindles are some of the best. All they need are .9 and .5 tall ball joints if you want to get into handling. I have them on my 69 and they work well..

1 - 9 of 9 Posts