El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Newbie finally owns this backyard find. This one's been sitting for 40+ years. I've known about it for about 35 of those years. Family grew up and the kids are out of the house so started thinking about this 2 seater again. Wife actually brokered the deal and surprised me with it Christmas 2019. Unfortunately she passed away unexpectedly in early January 2020 so I'm fixing it up in her spirit. Old school. Big block, dual quad tunnel ram, 9" locker with 275 60 15s out back, pizza cutters in the front, that type of stuff. It's been under covers but out in the elements. Solid except for the base of the windshield and the floors. Installed sheet metal floors that the next guy can remove and fix correctly, going to light sand the patina and satin clear coat. Pretty aggressive timeline but hoping to have it on the road this July.
14.jpg

·
Premium Member
192 Posts
Welcome to the site.
Great looking engine. Do you know the displacement? Everybody here would appreciate a build diary.

That is one heavy duty cherry picker you have there.

·
Premium Member
7,971 Posts
Hi Dave, welcome from Idaho. Glad you've joined us. Sorry about your wife's passing. It's great you are building it in honor of her. Prayers going out for you and your family. I hope you'll share the build with us all. Enjoy and have fun.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Welcome Dave from Pittsburgh Pa. Very sorry about your wife.Build it nice in memory of her. Enjoy the site and your Camino. Russ

·
Registered
45 Posts
Welcome from Myrtle Beach love to see this kind of stuff your wife must have been very special she is proud I'm sure love the patina can't wait to see more.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Tazdave, greetings and welcome to ECC, from Seattle, Wa.
My condolences to you on your wife's passing, she must have been one fine lady to have brokered the purchase deal and surprise you with it. I must say, she certainly had good taste.
It is so unfortunate that she can not be around to share this build adventure with you, and to take nostalgic cruises on the open road.
I also hope that you will keep all here at ECC up to date on the build process.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks everybody. Cindy was a trooper helping with Camaros, Road Runners, sand rails, jeeps all sorts of stuff. Out with the old diff and have a Quick Performance 9" on the way. The engine is a basic 454 truck engine. Was a warranty write off from a Chevy dealership. Tagged a valve with about 800 miles on it. Brand new and no replacement parts available so we put a new engine in the motor home and sent it on its way. Been sitting waiting for the right moment. Has 049 heads, H 292 cam grind, 600 Holleys, Turbo 400 3000 stall converter, 3.91 gears with a locker, everything to get me to the coffee shop on a Saturday morning.
thumbnail (6).jpg

·
Premium Member
711 Posts
I’m so very sorry about the loss of your wife. I’m glad you have this project. I’m two years into a ‘68. I see CA plates on the front. Where are you at?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Quick update on the build. Put in the 9" from Quick Performance. Great guys there and an awesome product. Slid right in like it had been there all of its life. Changed out the wheel studs, my deal, not theirs, and just kept working on it. There's a lot of emotion going into this build, and had to get creative when the second set of hands weren't available, but good vibes and good music kept my rolling along. It's a rat, my Krylon Warrior, but it's definitely going to be fun. I hope you enjoy.

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
God Bless you!

I have one fear in this lifetime, its my wife passing. We've been together since 1972 we were 14 when we started "seeing" each other...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
We were together for 39 years. We actually met in 1970, she was a cheerleader for my Pop Warner football team. She came back to So Cal from Washington for a friend's wedding, we met and she never went back. She was my princess and that's how I treated her, every day. She passed unexpectedly at 57 but every day was a good day. We did something fun every day whether it was something as simple as sharing a bowl of ice cream or a long weekend at Lake Havasu. I look back with no regrets. Her loss is devastating, the pain is unimaginable, but I would endure this 1000 times over so she wouldn't have to live this for a single second. So hug her tight, show her you love her and take lots of pictures.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Dave
Everytime I see an image of your truck, I hear a voice that says dark metallic root beer.
I like the idea of a dark metallic rootbeer. My dad has a '34 Ford 5 window that he has had for about 55 years. It was painted a rootbeer brown about 43-44 years ago.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Dave
Everytime I see an image of your truck, I hear a voice that says dark metallic root beer.
The base of the front and rear glass as well as the floor have a bit of rust damage and body work is not my thing. I fabbed some panels for the floor and riveted them in so if it comes to it the next owner can remove the panels and fix it correctly. The plan is to fix up the roof, satin black to mimic the original vinyl top, scotch-brite pad the entire car then satin clear, install the trim and drive it. A huge thank you and shout out to whoever started calling rust "patina", you have saved us countless hours of time and money :)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts