El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys

On a 68, is the large lower windshield molding supposed to sit perfectly flat on the windshield so that the wipers can park on top of the molding? Or should the wipers park above the molding on the glass? The molding on my car does not sit flat on the glass.

Thanks

IMG_4490.JPG IMG_4490.JPG

Attachments

·
Registered
172 Posts
The lower windshield molding does fit tight against the windshield. When you turn the wipers off they then retract down below the upper lip of the molding and rest about half-way down the molding.

Greg

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The lower windshield molding does fit tight against the windshield. When you turn the wipers off they then retract down below the upper lip of the molding and rest about half-way down the molding.

Greg
Thanks Greg, that's what I needed to know!
I guess I need to bend that molding some so the wipers can travel over it.

Norm

·
Registered
172 Posts
I guess I need to bend that molding some so the wipers can travel over it.
Good luck with that. And I don't mean that sarcastically. You will need to remove the molding. There is a clip that holds down each end of the molding and each clip is held by a screw that you can't get to while the fender is in place.

Greg

·
Premium Member
711 Posts
May or may not be an issue, but 68’s came with either standard wipers or with hidden wipers. The hidden wipers will have an extra rod on the drivers side wiper arm and a round motor. The standard wipers will not have that extra rod on the arm and will have a square motor.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
May or may not be an issue, but 68’s came with either standard wipers or with hidden wipers. The hidden wipers will have an extra rod on the drivers side wiper arm and a round motor. The standard wipers will not have that extra rod on the arm and will have a square motor.
Yes, mine have the hidden wipers.

·
Premium Member
711 Posts
Okay. On my ‘68 the wipers park with the blades down on those small rectangular protrusions at the bottom edge of the stainless trim piece.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Good luck with that. And I don't mean that sarcastically. You will need to remove the molding. There is a clip that holds down each end of the molding and each clip is held by a screw that you can't get to while the fender is in place.

Greg
I managed to get it out and back in alright. The two clips at each end just create a pressure fit to hold the molding in. I was able to slide it behind each clip and then install the remaining screws.

Norm

1 - 8 of 8 Posts