El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I'm in the middle of a total frame off restoration of my '68. The door windows and wing windows need total replace/rebuild.
I've never been a huge fan of wing windows anyway and I'm looking at a kit on OPGI that deletes the wing windows.
Here is the link: Window Set, One Piece, 1968-72 El Camino @ OPGI.com
Cost is about the same as the rebuild parts when it is all said and done.

Just wondering if anyone has done this conversion and what your thoughts/recommendations are?

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
It’s your cruck, do what you want, but keep this in mind. If you ever sell it I think the number of potential buyers who are either neutral about or in favor of the conversion will be outnumbered by those who either prefer original or like vent windows in general.
Patrick

·
Premium Member
1,459 Posts
I love my vent windows and would never consider removing them. Its a great conversation starter at car shows.

Rick

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
964 Posts
They're well worth the trouble in restoring them. And once you figured it out the second one is easy.

·
Registered
366 Posts
As pbr400 said, it's your truck.
I like the idea of one piece windows.
Back in the day, the hot thing to do to your VW Beetle was to convert to one piece windows. I never got that far on doing my Bug, though I wanted to.

·
Ministry of Broke Things
6,555 Posts
I've seen them in person on a customized '68 last year at the NECOA national meet in Arlington. It looks very clean. So really, I don't think you can go wrong either way. Go with what you want. Besides, it's nothing that can't be reversed if needed later on.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I've thought about it as well. Especially when dealing with drafts/water leaks at the vent windows. I'm just on the fence about the looks. When I picture our generation of elcos, I see vent windows. Seeing them without, IMO seems a bit strange. But who knows if it's something that would grow on you. I say go with your gut. If you are leaning more towards deleting them, get the kit. If not, rebuild and continue on

·
Registered
380 Posts
My personal preference would be to keep them and rebuild them.
GM went through a lot of trouble to design them and if you wanted a nice upgrade you could convert to power windows and also do the vents too.
Being lazy and not liking crank windows and liking all the power options GM users I converted mine over to full power about 40 years ago using all original GM parts.

·
Registered
173 Posts
My personal preference would be to keep them and rebuild them.
GM went through a lot of trouble to design them and if you wanted a nice upgrade you could convert to power windows and also do the vents too.
Being lazy and not liking crank windows and liking all the power options GM users I converted mine over to full power about 40 years ago using all original GM parts.
It would probably cost a fortune to do that now! I'd love to have power windows in my car.

·
Registered
29 Posts
my biggest pet peeve about the wind wings , are passengers grabbing their handles and cranking them trying to roll the window down , and breaking the mechanism !!!

my fix is power windows and wind wings , ive thought about the 1 piece windows , and id probably do them if i wasnt after keeping that stock/pro touring mix , for a LS swap their would a must

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
my biggest pet peeve about the wind wings , are passengers grabbing their handles and cranking them trying to roll the window down , and breaking the mechanism !!!

my fix is power windows and wind wings , ive thought about the 1 piece windows , and id probably do them if i wasnt after keeping that stock/pro touring mix , for a LS swap their would a must
I'm doing the resto mod thing, with LS3. I think you are right. The delete kit is going to complete that theme. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
4,384 Posts
Someone cut up the A/C and heat/ defrost in mine. I live in the best climate, so it isn't as much a problem.
Yet those wing windows help cool me and get air to the windshield to evaporate (like defogger).
My budget won't stretch for the AC aftermarket, so I could not even think of removing the wings.

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Delete for looks! my 2 cents
That's the main reason I bought a '68 Camaro rather than a '67

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
I like the look and having them fully open on those hot days having all that air blow at you... My wife still says turn on the AC when we get into my El Camino on a hot day which means open the vent windows all the way..

1 - 16 of 16 Posts