El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm currently looking for my second 3rd generation El Camino to do a full custom build on. Basically, I'm going for a pro touring/road trip style build. (aluminum LS motor, t56 trans, performance mods, suspension mods, creature comforts, etc)

I'm wondering, what is the absolute biggest tire size you can fit in the rear of a stock '69 without any major modifications?
What type of rear end would be best in terms of cornering for daily street use with such wide rubber?
Would 'tubbing' the rear to fit a heavy duty differential and even bigger tires be a better alternative?

I currently have the opportunity to buy a local '69 that is specifically set up for the quarter mile; it's probably not even street legal at the moment. One of my biggest concerns about the car is that is has a heavy duty Dana 60 rear end with 5.13 gears, is professionally tubbed with a ladder bar suspension, and has massive tires. I'm wondering if that's 'too much' rear end for the type of daily street use I'm aiming for, and if it will negatively affect the cars handling capabilities.
This '69 also has fabrication work done to the engine bay to set back the engine as far back as he reasonably could for better weight distribution, and a custom roll cage. Would either of these modifications pose a big problem for me?

In your opinion, is this particular setup of a '69 a good starting point for the type of build that I'm looking to do? Or, should I just find an original '69 in good overall condition and do all of the fab work myself to my own standards?

Any feedback is much appreciated

·
Registered
193 Posts
Duplicate thread?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts