El Camino Central Forum banner

41 - 60 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
its seems like this pulley doesnt sit far enough back depth wise
i thought about turning it around but then i wouldnt be able to get it off if it didnt line up

·
Premium Member
1,344 Posts
I will take a few pictures of mine tonight. Did it all line up on yours before installing the S10 pulley?

If yes, maybe the new S10 pulley can be pushed back a little further?

Rick

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
791 Posts
It almost looks like the alternator is nudged rearward that forces the misalignment.

Rick

It almost looks like the alternator is nudged rearward that forces the misalignment.

Rick

That looks very much like the pulley I have and it is tight at the ps box but lined up OK, I did push it on a bit too far at first and had to back it up a bit. Also, I had to change the inner pump mounting bolt to a Torx head bolt without a washer to clear the back side of the pulley.

Joe

·
Premium Member
791 Posts
I will take a few pictures of mine tonight. Did it all line up on yours before installing the S10 pulley?

If yes, maybe the new S10 pulley can be pushed back a little further?

Rick

Sorry, I screwed that up and tried to edit and screwed that up too!

That looks like the same pulley I used and I had to use a Torx bolt on the inside pump mount to give enough clearance for the backside of the pulley to push it into alignment. Hope this helps.

Joe

·
Premium Member
1,344 Posts
Hello Gary,

I have two pictures - one from the top and one from the bottom. The bottom picture may be the most revealing that shows the depth of the pulley on the pump shaft.

From the top, you can see the spacing of the pulley against the pump.

Rick

Attachments

·
Premium Member
791 Posts
Hello Gary,

I have two pictures - one from the top and one from the bottom. The bottom picture may be the most revealing that shows the depth of the pulley on the pump shaft.

From the top, you can see the spacing of the pulley against the pump.

Rick
That pulley looks different than the one Gary posted. Maybe a difference from the years? His new one looks a lot more like the one I used.

Joe

·
Premium Member
791 Posts
That pulley looks different than the one Gary posted. Maybe a difference from the years? His new one looks a lot more like the one I used.

Joe
WIN_20200526_20_27_01_Pro.jpg

As you can see the PS shaft is sticking out quite a bit, and believe it or not, I had to cut the end of the shaft off about 1/4 inch to get my puller to work and pull it back into alignment.

Joe

·
Premium Member
791 Posts
Yes, my pulley and his are vastly different but it does appear that his pulley can be pushed further back onto the pump shaft.

Rick
Yes, quite a bit. Like I mentioned earlier you have to watch the clearance at the inside pump mounting bolt. Mine hit it when lined up so had to use a different head style (Torx style) for better clearance.

Joe

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
I actually pushed the pulley on so far onto to the shaft that it couldnt spin any more and it still didnt line up, I think the pulley doesnt have the correct offset

·
Registered
119 Posts
Yep, different offsets. This one that I read about online was supposed to work. To get it far enough back, I got a nice spark show. Luckily, my stock pulley fit and cleared the steering box.

·
Premium Member
791 Posts
Yep, different offsets. This one that I read about online was supposed to work. To get it far enough back, I got a nice spark show. Luckily, my stock pulley fit and cleared the steering box. View attachment 129966
I just looked up the one I used and thought I had good news! Then I looked at your pic and saw the 300-202 and that is the exact one I used. Looking at your motor I see it's probably 2002 or earlier set-up. I'm not sure but there might be a different PS pump issue going on here. There might be a mount bracket difference but I'm betting on pump design change. I'll ask around tomorrow, hopefully I can find out what's going on.

Joe

·
Premium Member
791 Posts
I actually pushed the pulley on so far onto to the shaft that it couldnt spin any more and it still didnt line up, I think the pulley doesnt have the correct offset
I actually replied to the other post from 123pugsy thinking it was your post. but what I mentioned there might be what's going on, hopefully I can find out what's up. Did you use the Dorman 300-202 also?

Joe

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
Its GM pn 12607307 for the S10 power steering pump pulley. Its available on Ebay and the larger Internet with a search by that part number.

Rick sent me this part number and its the same one I ordered from ebay.

·
Premium Member
1,344 Posts
I will try to read the part number on it and see if I can research it. Yours does look different than mine and I don't know why it should be different.

Rick

·
Premium Member
1,344 Posts
Hello Gary,

Apparently two very similar parts are listed for S10 truck power steering pump pulleys. Try running a Google search for the following different part number I have found on my pulley:

14100597 or 14100597NU

Its a 1987-95 S10 or Camaro 2.8 liter engine PS pump pulley that you can very likely find in a junk yard near you. Or spend $24 plus eight bucks shipping above on Ebay.

Rick

41 - 60 of 70 Posts