El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought this a few years ago and started taking it apart in May 2019. I drove it for the first time almost one year to the day.
2002 Camaro was used as a donor.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
8,156 Posts
Hi Tony, welcome from Idaho. Glad you've joined us. Your 69 looks very sweet. Awesome job on your build. Have fun and enjoy it and the community.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you. I had a goal of completing it within a years time. I knew it was going to be tough because the last time I took on a project, it took over 2 years. I started in May of 2019. It took almost a full month to dismantle the Camaro alone. Work was slow at first as the frame had major damage to the rear coil perches. I took the frame to a body shop and had it checked. Once it was straightened out, I redesigned the rear suspension mounting. I welded a 2"x3" tube between the frame rails for the new coil-overs to mount to. Things started to pick up pace once the car started to go back together until my wife was diagnosed with breast cancer in Sept. Work on the car was placed on the back burner for a bit. She underwent Chemotherapy during the next few months. Jan-March was radiation daily for 6 weeks. We both decided that I would spend as much time as I could trying to get it ready for the Summer months so we could enjoy it. The Summers here are short so instead of spending months or years taking it to a paint shop, I did the best I could on the body work and sprayed a Plastidip finish to get us through the Summer. Plan is to peel it off this Winter and pick up where I left off, maybe even giving the car a "real" paint job. :)
But for now, I'm happy with it. Although the body work isn't perfect, at least she's on the road, the wife is still alive, and regardless of whether it's "perfect" or not, we will always remember this Summer as the first Summer we were able to drive the "Camarino" around this beautiful state.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The hood scoop was an idea from the beginning. Take the busted up Camaro scoop and put it on the El Camino hood. After a few failed attempts, I found a product called Pliogrip. It worked like a champ. Glued it down with that and some self tapping screws overnight. Removed the screws and started the filling process. It took a lot of filling and sanding, over and over again, but it came out awesome I think. If this didn't work out, I planned on using a "Stinger" hood, like the 60's Corvettes had, but this worked out good... and it's the only one I know of.

Attachments

·
Registered
20 Posts
I bought this a few years ago and started taking it apart in May 2019. I drove it for the first time almost one year to the day.
2002 Camaro was used as a donor. View attachment 131336 View attachment 131337 View attachment 131338 View attachment 131339 View attachment 131340 View attachment 131341 View attachment 131346 View attachment 131347 View attachment 131348
Tonyinmontana this Idaho boy thinks you did a great job on your El Camino! Love the picture story and the hood came out beautiful.

·
Premium Member
48 Posts
Terrific job! The rear coil-over support will work great. Enjoy your ride!

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Reactions: TonyInMontana
1 - 14 of 14 Posts