El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, So i am trying to follow the rules of this forum, and post exactly what was asked first. To clarify, this is just as much a documentation of my work for myself as it is for the rest of the members here. Figured this would be the best placed to make this thread. So, here we go:

Year and Model: 1969 Chevrolet El Camino
Engine Specs and Modifications: 5.7L 350
Drivetrain Specs and Modifications:2 Speed Powerglide transmission with a 12 bolt rear
Suspension Specs and Modifications:Stock suspension currently
Exterior Specs and Modifications:SS Hood, Vinyl roof and tonneau cover
Interior Specs and Modifications: Malibu interior kit, lap/shoulder
seatbelt conversion

Electrical Specs and Modifications:Stock
Photographs (if any): coming soon!

Primary reason for starting this build thread:I am starting on doing a 4 wheel power disc brake conversion(with a booster) as well as replacing all the suspension components, (leaving stock control arm, changing bushings and stock sway bar with new bushings, everything else will be replaced with OEM parts.) Also, Having a 7 month old and working 90+ hours a week, work will progress quite slowly, so I figured it would be best to use this thread not only as a build thread, but as a checklist for myself. Also will be nice to look back at what all I have done since owning my 69. More pics to come as work begins.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, reached the first of i am sure many hiccups with this project, the retaining bolt on the rear differential busted off inside, meaning the center cross pin is stuck and wont come out. Going to figure out someway to get it out without having to replace the whole rear, anyone have any suggestions or insight?

I know they make an extractor kit for this exact problem, found here: https://www.amazon.com/Yukon-YT-BE-01-Cross-Extractor/dp/B0078U9L8C Only problem is it won't be in stock until end of September at the earliest.

Good news is the gears inside all look great, just a matter of if they will still be ok once i get the rest of that bolt out. So to be continued...

Attachments

·
Premium Member
211 Posts
Nice car.
what happened to the left exhaust pipe at the frame rail?

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think it is just a bad camera angle, but the exhaust was already on when i bought it, might check it out tomorrow when i get off.

·
Premium Member
1,418 Posts
I will definitely be watching your efforts here.

Rick

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Nice car.
what happened to the left exhaust pipe at the frame rail?
To answer your question, it is just the camera angle, the pipe has a "notch" in it to allows the axle to travel

·
Past Director Region 13, Senior Member
2,725 Posts
Good looking 69 Matt. That's one of favorite years.

One piece of advice. Don't use polyurethane bushings in your suspension build. I did in my 83 and, the squeaking drives me nuts. I don't know if polygraphite bushings would have the same issue but, I'm going to re-do mine with stock rubber bushings.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Well, reached the first of i am sure many hiccups with this project, the retaining bolt on the rear differential busted off inside, meaning the center cross pin is stuck and wont come out. Going to figure out someway to get it out without having to replace the whole rear, anyone have any suggestions or insight?

I know they make an extractor kit for this exact problem, found here: https://www.amazon.com/Yukon-YT-BE-01-Cross-Extractor/dp/B0078U9L8C Only problem is it won't be in stock until end of September at the earliest.

Good news is the gears inside all look great, just a matter of if they will still be ok once i get the rest of that bolt out. So to be continued...
Thats the same exact thing that happened to me 2 yrs ago, i was repalcing the2:41 with a limited slip Auburn..i got the pin out but i think i damaged the casing where the retaining bolt is in the process, of course wasnt going to use it anymore either. but i dont think i damaged it enough to be unserviceable. I think i used a long thick phillips screw, cut the tip flat and hammered the pin out damaging the threads..(maybe). i think i also clamped the bolt ( threre was enough sticking out to grab)and finnally twisted it out, used quite a bit of PB blaster. Sorry couldnt give you the exact details...kinda forgot the process. if your keeping everything, then maybe what i did may give you an idea to work with (except for the damaging part lol)

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Good looking 69 Matt. That's one of favorite years.

One piece of advice. Don't use polyurethane bushings in your suspension build. I did in my 83 and, the squeaking drives me nuts. I don't know if polygraphite bushings would have the same issue but, I'm going to re-do mine with stock rubber bushings.
Yes, i got the full OEM rubber kit that NPD sells, wasn't very expensive at all, and i was trying to keep the handling relatively stock.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thats the same exact thing that happened to me 2 yrs ago, i was repalcing the2:41 with a limited slip Auburn..i got the pin out but i think i damaged the casing where the retaining bolt is in the process, of course wasnt going to use it anymore either. but i dont think i damaged it enough to be unserviceable. I think i used a long thick phillips screw, cut the tip flat and hammered the pin out damaging the threads..(maybe). i think i also clamped the bolt ( threre was enough sticking out to grab)and finnally twisted it out, used quite a bit of PB blaster. Sorry couldnt give you the exact details...kinda forgot the process. if your keeping everything, then maybe what i did may give you an idea to work with (except for the damaging part lol)
After doing some googling, this seems a very common issue, not only for the 10/12 bolt rears but all rears in general. I got the replacement bolt and compared it to the current piece that broke off, and there can't be more than 1/2 a thread or 1 full thread left in there.

My current idea i am bouncing around with is to get my buddy to drill a straight hole through the old piece that broke off, so i can thread it back into the hole and have a guide for a drill bit to drill into, then of course using a tap and getting the remainder out. Short of this, i'll probably buy a new cross pin altogether and just drill out the cross pin where the rod is through.

Will keep everyone updated as i progress, hopefully next weekend

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Just an update, bit the bullet and decided to go ahead and order the extraction kit, She has been sitting in my garage with no progress made for too long now. Supposed to be here 1st or 2nd week in October. Will keep you updated

·
Premium Member
702 Posts
Just an update, bit the bullet and decided to go ahead and order the extraction kit, She has been sitting in my garage with no progress made for too long now. Supposed to be here 1st or 2nd week in October. Will keep you updated
Smart move Matt. I think you will be amazed at how easy the kit will do the job needed. Be patient and take your time. Usually there is only 1 or 2 threads holding the remainder of the cross bolt and it is not all that tight.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Sorry for the small hiatus, life gets busy around the holidays for me. Also, I had an AWESOME buddy of mine MAKE the differential cross pin extractor kit for me. (For reference, that was the big set back I ran into.)

So, now that I'm making progress I figured I would update this post. Still have to actually finish the rear disc brake conversion, but will be updating soon.

More pictures to come!

Attachments

1 - 20 of 44 Posts