El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hello there. So we have another project. 1969 vw bug all original except for the paint. Been sitting up for some time. The plan is to get the fuel tank replaced and flush the fuel lines and rebuild the carburetor. Then address the lack of brakes and then redo the seats. It is really solid for being so old? Any tips or information about the carburetor and brakes is welcome! ??

Attachments

Premium Member
Good find! I鈥檝e had several of those in years past. Brakes are easy. Just be sure of your adjustment. Everything is so easy to fix on those cars. Besides brakes, the one critical thing to check is the exhaust system. If the pipes inside the heat exchangers are rotted you will be blowing exhaust fumes into your cabin. And if the outer sheet metal on the heat exchangers are compromised you鈥檒l have quite a surprise the first time you try to use your defroster on a rainy day. Keep a towel handy.

Registered
From what I remember about my '69 beetle, it had drums all around and a simple master cylinder (no boost required), metal lines transitioning to flex just like any other car. The aftermarket for these cars is still pretty strong. I still have a fiberglass dune buggy that was made from a 1966 VW type III.

Registered
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies. We have it turning over but it seems to not getting fire. We haven鈥檛 done a lot ... yet...?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts