El Camino Central Forum banner
461 - 466 of 466 Posts

·
Registered
1970 Chevy El Camino Restomod
472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #461 ·
Well, I had a good drive out to the car show. I did not win anything, but I had a good time. As I was leaving the event the car just died. I had the AC on High again and most of the problems seem to occur when the AC is on high. So, I checked the fuses and everything was fine. Then I traced the wire I had problems with last time and it was fine. Then I put my glasses on and checked the fuses and noticed a blow fuse. 🤓 The same 25 amp fuse that I had blown on the Phoenix trip. I replacd it and everythign was good.

Despite these setbacks I have been learning tons of things. It seems like the extra current required to run the AC on High is a real thing. So, I decided to replace the 25 amp fuse with a 30 amp fuse. I made a nice trip from Prescott to Flagstaff today and all was perfect. Only needed the AC on medium though. I will make the drive back to Prescott in the morning, but likely do not need high AC again.

I also decided that when I add in the center console I am going to do some more rewiring. I have many splices and a spaghetti mess of wires under the dash. While I relocated some electronics to the center console now, everything is just tucked under there and not necessarily mounted to any boards or anything super tidy. I think I can get the junctions mounted on some boards and replace some of the splices with soldered connections.

Reactions: B52bombardier1

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #462 ·
I need to verify, but I think the Classic Auto Air instructions also stated to replace the fuse in the panel with a 30amp fuse.

On my drive from work back to Flagstaff, I blew that 30a fuse 4 times. Still struggling anytime I have the AC on High. The tricky thing this time is that these 30a fuses are cheapos from Harbor Freight. They looked perfect in the middle. Not even a heat wrinkle. But, the end near the cap blew. I think this is more of a flaw of the fuse rather than a problem with the system. So, I bought some higher quality fuses and they are on order. I then located some nice 35a fuses from LittleFuse. I have yet to try it out, but I am optimistic that this will cure the problem. Fingers crossed.

Monsoon seaon is here early this year and I have a Cali trip to make this week. So, the El Camino will get to rest for a few days.

I am excited to find the time to install the rear brakes and to finish up the interior. All the parts are finally here. Now, I just need some time.

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
sd, make sure the tabs you are plugging the fuse into are tight. They could have heated up and lost there spring. Sometimes they will turn blue when heated causing a loose connection.
Tom

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #465 ·
Thanks Tom. The tabs are solid.

Old Bear, I am heading out to Sacramento and driving back to Flagstaff.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #466 ·
For my records. A shortcut URL for this modz page.

tinyurl.com/70ElkyRestomodz

461 - 466 of 466 Posts