El Camino Central Forum banner
461 - 480 of 487 Posts

·
Registered
1970 Chevy El Camino Restomod
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #461 ·
Well, I had a good drive out to the car show. I did not win anything, but I had a good time. As I was leaving the event the car just died. I had the AC on High again and most of the problems seem to occur when the AC is on high. So, I checked the fuses and everything was fine. Then I traced the wire I had problems with last time and it was fine. Then I put my glasses on and checked the fuses and noticed a blow fuse. 🤓 The same 25 amp fuse that I had blown on the Phoenix trip. I replacd it and everythign was good.

Despite these setbacks I have been learning tons of things. It seems like the extra current required to run the AC on High is a real thing. So, I decided to replace the 25 amp fuse with a 30 amp fuse. I made a nice trip from Prescott to Flagstaff today and all was perfect. Only needed the AC on medium though. I will make the drive back to Prescott in the morning, but likely do not need high AC again.

I also decided that when I add in the center console I am going to do some more rewiring. I have many splices and a spaghetti mess of wires under the dash. While I relocated some electronics to the center console now, everything is just tucked under there and not necessarily mounted to any boards or anything super tidy. I think I can get the junctions mounted on some boards and replace some of the splices with soldered connections.

Reactions: B52bombardier1

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #462 ·
I need to verify, but I think the Classic Auto Air instructions also stated to replace the fuse in the panel with a 30amp fuse.

On my drive from work back to Flagstaff, I blew that 30a fuse 4 times. Still struggling anytime I have the AC on High. The tricky thing this time is that these 30a fuses are cheapos from Harbor Freight. They looked perfect in the middle. Not even a heat wrinkle. But, the end near the cap blew. I think this is more of a flaw of the fuse rather than a problem with the system. So, I bought some higher quality fuses and they are on order. I then located some nice 35a fuses from LittleFuse. I have yet to try it out, but I am optimistic that this will cure the problem. Fingers crossed.

Monsoon seaon is here early this year and I have a Cali trip to make this week. So, the El Camino will get to rest for a few days.

I am excited to find the time to install the rear brakes and to finish up the interior. All the parts are finally here. Now, I just need some time.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #465 ·
Thanks Tom. The tabs are solid.

Old Bear, I am heading out to Sacramento and driving back to Flagstaff.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #466 ·
For my records. A shortcut URL for this modz page.

tinyurl.com/70ElkyRestomodz

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #467 ·
Well, the car has been running perfectly around town without the AC on. I also swapped out the fuses to a high quality 35amp fuse. I need to do some AC on tests, but have not had the time. I really think the fuse quality was the problem since they were not blowing in the middle or showing any signs of heat damage. The ends of the fuse behind the ends caps were blowing. You cannot even see it.

The other symptom I was having that I did not think was related is the PCS shifter display on the steering wheel kept losing signal with the cheap fuses and lower 25amp fuses. The display woudl read TCU not found and it was occuring on every drive after about 10 - 30 minutes of driving. Since changing the fuse to a high qaulity 35a fuse, I have not dropped the signal at all on a half dozen drives.

I have not had the time to work on any big projects, but I went back to VG for some more artwork and some Hero cards. These are business cards for car shows. The hero card is perfect and uses the display board imagery.

The artwork will be printed on canvas in 16x20 and and be hung on the office wall. I wanted a surreal graphic with cold colors. Grays, blues, blacks and ice whites. I saw a brilliant fall tree colors photo in a gallery with train tracks coming out of the scnene and straight towards the viewer. The tracks were void of a train. This sparked my idea for the artwork below. I had to take some special eleveated photos of the Elky to get what the artist wanted. Since I hobby with some high altitude mountaineering I wanted the alpine scene for this surreal artwork.

Here are the first drafts. More work needs to be done, but overall I am impressed with the scene itself. The car should actually be on the tracks as if it were a train. So, the tracks need to be turned or the artist needs to use a head-on photo of the car, which he has. We'll see what the next round brings.

Water Car Sky Land vehicle Vehicle

Car Wheel Vehicle Tire Photograph

Car Vehicle Hood Light Automotive design

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #468 ·
approved the second draft of the hero cards today. it is now two sided. front has the image that was on the first proof. all wording moved to the backside of card with the artwork scene. looks good.

artwork also updated and looks great. i'm going to have one more exit done then it should be done.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #470 ·
Another update on some smalls.

The artwork was approved. I ordered 3 16x20 canvas prints from Snapfish with 70% off. Stoked about that.

Cloud Mountain Water Snow Vehicle

Font side of Hero card.
Car Wheel Vehicle Tire Photograph

Backside of Hero card.
Vehicle Mountain Sky White Car

Also have an update to share on the Dapper lighting. They custom build there headlamps. I chose the black refelctors for cosmetics and 30w LED projector lamps with the switchback 120mm DD halos and OE glass. Here are a couple build photos.

Black reflector with halo installed on the flat section to hold it nicely.
Automotive tire Automotive lighting Black Camera accessory Motor vehicle

OE glass. I love this look over the clear glass.
Font Automotive lighting Auto part Automotive wheel system Circle

Now the projector is installed.
Wheel Grille Automotive lighting Automotive tire Hood

I love that Dapper includes me in the build process. They even shared a photo when they first cut the halos and I asked them to remove another 5mm from each side. Photos you see above are with the extra bits cutoff. Here is a photo of the first cut.
Sky Gesture Amber Astronomical object Moon

Hope to share photos of the Halos turned on while mounted inside the lamps tomorrow.

Reactions: kat0069

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #472 ·
Well, no progress on the headlights as of yet. I may get a video tomorrow. There is a car show coming up this weekend. The car has so much work ready to be done, but that won't stop me from going to the car show. When I was young, I built a car audio SQ system in my Isuzu pickup. I was never satisfied with the state of the truck and refused to take it to shows until I was done. Well, that means I never entered a car show. I do regret that and won't make that mistake again.

I think I have some old photos of Blue Diamonds.

This was a sleeper truck. OEM materials used for all the upgrades and panels.
Wheel Tire Automotive parking light Car Land vehicle

Rectangle Wood Font Paint Bumper

Floorboards were cut out to countersink woofer encloures with direct fire 7" Dynaudio woofers. The midbass punch on these were incredible.
Hood Automotive lighting Trunk Bumper Automotive exterior

Kickpanels had 3" soft mids and 1" tweeters. The staging was near perfect.
Automotive exterior Hood Personal luxury car Automotive design Vehicle door

Standard truck utility box was modified with a lowered panel that you can see sprayed with truck bed liner to hide it. There was a blowthrough and this housed all the amps and processors and the subwoffer enclosure.
Vehicle Car Automotive tire Hood Grille

Here is the neon lit sub enclosure. That's right kids, no blue LEDs in 1995!
Motor vehicle Home appliance Audio equipment Gas Automotive design

Panels in place with original materials used to cover them. The tweed plate can be romoved to show off the subs. All the neon and the utility box lid with linear actualtors could be opened with the alarm remote. I was never happy and refused to take this to shows. I think I would have won a few.
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Vehicle door Chair Vehicle

I could not find any photos of the amp rack and processors. Bummer.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #473 ·
I had a nice long drive to visit my parents and attend a car show. The car ran great. In the last 20 miles I tried running the AC on high to see if I would blow more fuses. nope! it was great. Today I drove to the car show and ran the AC on high and no problems at all. I think this one is solved.

Some great cars today. I won nothing.

My dad bought a 57 T-bird late last year and this was his first car show. They had a t-bird class and he took first place. I'm sure it helped that he had the only car in that class. 😊. I was happy to see him win.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #475 ·
No time for the big projects, but always something to do. I raised the height of the driver seat with some solid steel 2" spacers. This seemed to help a lot and my legs are at a better angle, but I stll have the seat too far back and it hits the subwoofer enclosure. I think a 3" height increase is the right amount. I can't wled but have a welder, so rather than take this to a shop, this seems like a good project to practice on.

I also bought some exhaust pipe shields to deflect some of the heat away from the floorboards. In the summer heat I can really feel the engine heat coming through the firewall and now that I can run the AC on high without blowing fuses, this mod will allow the AC to work even better. This seems like a straight forward install.

I have had a gas tank leak for quite some time. So, I bought some new gaskets for the drop-in fuel pump and sender unit. I also bought a new hose for the filler next with a one way valve. So, this should seal the leak and hopefully stop the gas smell in the garage. This will make the wife happy. I have not had any fuel tank pressure when removing the gas cap in a couple years now. I though my problem was the vent being too low, but I relocated this a few months ago and the leaking still occurs.

Hope to get these modz done in a couple weeks.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #476 ·
I was able to film a few videos before the rain started today. It has been awhile since I posted these.

Dapper Lighting install. This corrected a lot of the probelms I had with the HID lights. They were unreliable and I could not get the dimmer to work properly.

TMI Interior update

Underhood look at CVF hinges, Heatshield Products shielding on exhaust pipes and Classic Auto Air AC system

A look at the new stance. Raised 1" for better ground clearance with Global West 1" rear spacers and 1/2" front spacers with an overal 1" lift frint and rear.

Exhaust Sounds walkaround - Sanderson headers with 2.5" pipes, H pipe and Dynamax Turbo mufflers

Exhaust Sounds inside start-up and take off.
70 El Camino Restomod - Exhaust sounds at take off

Reactions: Old Bear

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #477 ·
I have been busy with life, but still managed to work on a few things and adding more miles. The car is driving really great right. All the bugs with the fuses blowing, headlights, AC and alarm issues have been working reliably since upgrading the main fuse to 35a and using a high quality fuse.

I still have a gas leak bug and need to finish the interior upgrades and rear brakes.

I did install a Heatshield Products flashing on the exhaust pipes to reduce inside cabin temps. Man, I wish I did this a long time ago. This stuff works great and pretty easy to install. The AC system is so much more effective now.

I started by painting the alum flashing with VHT exhaust pipe flat black. Then you just wrap the pipes and install a wire wrap to keep them attached to the pipes. I started right under the header collector.
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Automotive design Bumper

I used two 36" pieces per side. The H pipe is not covered, ut since it is next to the Gear Vendors, I bought some more of this to apply in this location.
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Hood Vehicle

Driver side starting at the collector.
Leg Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Bicycle tire

This stuff is easy to mold, but it will tear if you are not super careful.
Hood Automotive tire Vehicle Automotive lighting Grille

The second 36" piece runs from behind the H pipe to the muffler. This covers the entire floorpan and about 20" under the truck bed.
Tire Automotive parking light Wheel Hood Automotive tire

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #478 ·
I continue to have gas leaks and odor in the garage. When I fill the tank it will often overfill the filler neck and spray gas all over the place and gas runs down the paint. So, I dropped the gas tank, removed the pump and float valve and replaced the gaskets. I also rewired everything and reinstalled it. I also added a flapper valve to prevent teh gas backing up the tube, but this was a miserable failure. The valve would not open enough to fuel the tank. It took me about 3 minutes to get 2 gallons of gas in the car. So, I had to pull this out. The spring valve just doesnt open enough or the spring is too strong.

So, I went to a new route. This is not installed yet but i bought a filler neck with similar dimensions (2" pipe with J bend and overall 16" long.) I hope this fits. More details below.

I used cork gaskets with some sealant.
Light Electrical wiring Eyewear Audio equipment Cable

Here is a look at the EFI electric drop in fuel pump. This setup was from Tanks Inc.
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive exhaust Automotive design Bumper

Resealed and ready to install teh tank.
Eyewear Bag Gas Jewellery Electrical wiring

Rewired and vent tubes and return lines are installed.
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Steering part Automotive design Steering wheel

This is the first one way valve that I tried using. This one failed.
Hood Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Grille

Here is a look at the opening when the gas is filling the tank. The spring was too strong or somthing. It would not work that well.
Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Bumper Fender

So, this is the experimental filler neck. It is a one-piece design with restrictor, check valve, ground strap and vent tube. This fits a 1996 to 2000 Chevy S-10.
Bicycle part Automotive exterior Gas Bumper Auto part

This is the intake restrictor. This will help prevent gas from spilling out of the tube when filling the tank with gas. It also prevents accidental filling with disel fuel.
Digital camera Reflex camera Point-and-shoot camera Camera lens Mirrorless interchangeable-lens camera

This is the ball check valve in the closed position. No spring. It stays in the open position. When gas fills the tank it will push the ball upward and prevent gas from filling the neck and splilling out.
Automotive tire Wood Gas Rim Audio equipment

This is the open position. You can also see the vent tube recirculates into the filler neck and when the cap is in place everything stays in a closed system. This should reduce the gas odor in the garage. Right now my vent tube runs up into the rear fender well. I can always smell gas fumes and this may be why. I am looking forward to trying this out. I hope it all fits and works as expected.
Microphone Audio equipment Gas Mechanical fan Toy

'

·
Senior Member Participating Member
1,107 Posts
sdcerreta, are your fuel lines are pressurized(57psi) at all times? They should have a Teflon inner liner. Maybe that's where the fuel vapors are coming from.:)

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #480 ·
Thanks for the heads up. I suspect pressure stays at 57psi when the car is on. I don't think the lines are not teflon coated, but they are true high pressure lines designed for EFI systems.

461 - 480 of 487 Posts