El Camino Central Forum banner

121 - 140 of 177 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
That sounds like good progress! Are they going to cut and buff it? Are there parts they need to re-install? I know you said it's on schedule for a Monday afternoon pickup, but unless they're open over the weekend, accomplishing all that may be a long shot for Monday afternoon. Just don't want you to get your hopes up! You already know that I would be very impatient at this point haha.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #125
yes, lots of parts to install. the doors, grille, bed parts, window trim are all off. they also have to do a full spray in bedliner.

yes, they will block sand it or whatever it is called and buff it.

i do know that the shop guys work into the night and weekends. So it looks to be on track.

·
Registered
218 Posts
yes, lots of parts to install. the doors, grille, bed parts, window trim are all off. they also have to do a full spray in bedliner.

yes, they will block sand it or whatever it is called and buff it.

i do know that the shop guys work into the night and weekends. So it looks to be on track.
Oh yeah, that's still quite a bit to do. Color sand and buff will take some time just by itself. If that thing gets done and ready for pickup by Monday afternoon, I want the name of that place!

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #127
Well, it was done. I drove it home last night. Paint looks great. There are a few issues that I need to work out, but I can handle most of those.

After seeing the black trim with the gray body, I love it. I was planning to keep some chrome pieces, but I am convinced that all teh chrome should go black. My technique for prep and paint has also proven to be pretty durable. This will take some time but it will also take care of some of the vintage chrome pitting on the trim and light bezels.

Here are a few quick photos.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Dude, that looks amazing! I'm excited for you. I love fresh paint. I'm glad they were able to get it done on time. I'll be honest, I had my doubts, but it seems they are a shop that keeps their word. Most shops out my way tend to drag their feet. Car looks wicked. Congrats! I'm jealous

·
Registered
56 Posts
Looks great! I'm sticking with Chrome trim, but I like your look and so glad to see all the possible looks. A classic, clean and straight el Camino looks good no matter what.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #130
Thanks guys. Tony, they were actually 10 days late and made 3 deadlines, so they were not really on track. I will also add, that they did in fact rush to get this back together and the penalty is that the car needs a lot of attention.

I have time and skill to do it, so I would prefer to have the car back so I can take charge to get everything dialed in the way I want it.

Examples:
1. Doors are not aligned right and I have a big air leak when driving on the freeway. Super loud and cold.
2. I did not get back the bed mat
3. There is an essential trim piece missing for the headliner
4. Front turn signals not connected correctly - not working.
5. Screws in tailgate are floating and not actually engaged. 4 fell out.
6. Car is filthy from color saniding. The engine compartment needs a full detail and there is some overspray that needs removal.
7. Missing hardware in various interior panels.
8. Broken and filthy inner door panels. This is a bummer since these are OEM and difficult to find OEM replacements.
9. Reverse lights are not working.

This is a resto-mod, so I have a lot of custom components that I cannont possibly expect anyone to put back together and get them all right. So, for this, I am happy to have the car back so I can put in the effort to get it right.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #131
Looks great! I'm sticking with Chrome trim, but I like your look and so glad to see all the possible looks. A classic, clean and straight el Camino looks good no matter what.

Yeah, I have a blend of chrome and black and it is not working as well as I thought. Since I have the technique dialed in, I am going for it. I think I am going all black, everywhere. I am not sure about hte wheels right now, but may swap them out or try to paint them myself.

Limo window tint and blackened turn signals are also on the list. I think this will look amazing when done.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Thanks guys. Tony, they were actually 10 days late and made 3 deadlines, so they were not really on track. I will also add, that they did in fact rush to get this back together and the penalty is that the car needs a lot of attention.

I have time and skill to do it, so I would prefer to have the car back so I can take charge to get everything dialed in the way I want it.

Examples:
1. Doors are not aligned right and I have a big air leak when driving on the freeway. Super loud and cold.
2. I did not get back the bed mat
3. There is an essential trim piece missing for the headliner
4. Front turn signals not connected correctly - not working.
5. Screws in tailgate are floating and not actually engaged. 4 fell out.
6. Car is filthy from color saniding. The engine compartment needs a full detail and there is some overspray that needs removal.
7. Missing hardware in various interior panels.
8. Broken and filthy inner door panels. This is a bummer since these are OEM and difficult to find OEM replacements.
9. Reverse lights are not working.

This is a resto-mod, so I have a lot of custom components that I cannont possibly expect anyone to put back together and get them all right. So, for this, I am happy to have the car back so I can put in the effort to get it right.
It is nice to have the time and skill. If you want it done the way you want it, you've got to do it.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Tony, they were actually 10 days late and made 3 deadlines, so they were not really on track.
Scott, I was talking more about the Monday delivery date. It seemed like a lot of work to get done for a Monday delivery, but I'm glad they got it back to you.

At least a few of those things are just cleaning and adjustments. Although a body shop should be able to get that kind of stuff correct before returning a car to a customer. The thing that would really make me upset is the parts you didn't get back and missing hardware.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #134
I did get the parts back. They are just unorganized. I took the car to the local show and shine event tonight (last one for the season) and another guy was talking about the same shop and how he woudl never take his car back there again. I had a few adjustments I wanted them to work on like realigning the doors, but I think I am going to try and do this myself, just so I don;t have to deal with them any longer.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #135
There is one big piece they missed. It is the steel panel where the wipers are located. You cant see it when the hood is closed, but when open it is blue. That seems like a pretty big miss to me. In addition to more blackening, I think I may go with the gray on the interior as well. The blue kinda stands out worse than I thought.

I did pick up some touchup paint and 2 spray cans of the same Toyota Cement color with a clear. It seemed like a reasonable option for some small paint projects. I am actaully pretty excited about it. So, I will do some more before and after photos this weekend.

·
Registered
218 Posts
It is the steel panel where the wipers are located
Are you talking about the top of the cowl/firewall area where the plastic grates are? That is a very big oversight. Especially because they jambed the car. That's all part of a color change. Did they spray the jambs for the tailgate? The shop that sprayed my car years ago overlooked that. It's still the sanded down, old yellow color. (My car was originally yellow with brown interior, NASTY). What color is the upholstery and carpet in your car?

I can't wait to get my car back on the road so I can go to some shows. I was just mentioning that to my wife, too. In fact, the motive behind doing all the work I have done this year, was to get the car ready to go to the Zip Tie Drags out your way in Tucson.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #137
Yes, the cowl. Agreed. The tailgate jams were sprayed with bedliner material. They look nice. Yeah, I want to get out to more events too. Do you know if they will be hosting the Zip Tie Drags in 2021. I could not find anything posted on dates or location. If you come to AZ for an event, let;s see if we can hook up.

At the show n shine. I was pulling up and there were two caminos in the lot. A tangerine 59, A black and gold 76 with LS3 upgrade and my 70 elky. It was pretty cool to see these three together.

I found a bunch of missing screws and bolts when they put things back together. They broke the door panels, lost some of the hardware and did not get them put in correctly. A whole day spent chasing the small stuff. I also realigned the hood. It was sticky up too high. After spending 20 minutes tweaking the hood, I realized I could not get the hood to go lower despite proper adjustments at the hinges, because the shop guys installed the rubber hood stays upside down. Its the small things that my father-in law spent years getting right. The doors and panels were about as good as the come. Now, everything fresh and shiny, but out of alignment. I also realigned the doors and pulled the front grille and headlight section apart, so I can spray the back sides of the headlight bezels and blacken the screws and stuff. Also found more residue from polishing. Just sloppy work putting it back together. You can tell for sure they were rushing to get it back to me. They also missed a small piece of the grille so I wanted to paint that too.

I'm happy to have it back. We have a gray cat named Ashford - Ash for short. We often refer to him as our gray baby. This is what my wife is calling the Elky now. And she is right. I am happy to have my baby back and happy to do all the smalls to get this thing back the way I like it. I want all the screws and bolts in the right spots as they shouel be. I want the doors to fit right and the gaps to look as good as possible. I hope to post photots tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Well, it was done. I drove it home last night. Paint looks great.
Looks really nice! Man I wish I had time to do more of my own work like you are.

Reactions: sdcerreta

·
Registered
218 Posts
Yes, the cowl. Agreed. The tailgate jams were sprayed with bedliner material. They look nice. Yeah, I want to get out to more events too. Do you know if they will be hosting the Zip Tie Drags in 2021. I could not find anything posted on dates or location. If you come to AZ for an event, let;s see if we can hook up.

At the show n shine. I was pulling up and there were two caminos in the lot. A tangerine 59, A black and gold 76 with LS3 upgrade and my 70 elky. It was pretty cool to see these three together.

I found a bunch of missing screws and bolts when they put things back together. They broke the door panels, lost some of the hardware and did not get them put in correctly. A whole day spent chasing the small stuff. I also realigned the hood. It was sticky up too high. After spending 20 minutes tweaking the hood, I realized I could not get the hood to go lower despite proper adjustments at the hinges, because the shop guys installed the rubber hood stays upside down. Its the small things that my father-in law spent years getting right. The doors and panels were about as good as the come. Now, everything fresh and shiny, but out of alignment. I also realigned the doors and pulled the front grille and headlight section apart, so I can spray the back sides of the headlight bezels and blacken the screws and stuff. Also found more residue from polishing. Just sloppy work putting it back together. You can tell for sure they were rushing to get it back to me. They also missed a small piece of the grille so I wanted to paint that too.

I'm happy to have it back. We have a gray cat named Ashford - Ash for short. We often refer to him as our gray baby. This is what my wife is calling the Elky now. And she is right. I am happy to have my baby back and happy to do all the smalls to get this thing back the way I like it. I want all the screws and bolts in the right spots as they shouel be. I want the doors to fit right and the gaps to look as good as possible. I hope to post photots tomorrow.
I'm not sure if they will be hosting Zip Tie Drags next year. I can't find anything either. We will fore sure have to get together if I come out that way for the event.
That's awesome that there were 3 Elcos at the show and shine. Especially a 1st Gen. If I were you, I'd have them pay for the door panels. That's unacceptable for them to break parts and have misaligned panels because they were rushing. A paint job is just as much about the FIT as it is the FINISH.
Take your time with the small stuff, and like you said, get things back the way you like it. That's what's important.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #140
Looks really nice! Man I wish I had time to do more of my own work like you are.
I usually travel a lot and I have been working on the car since 2015 or so. I got more done this summer than the last five years. One, is because of COVID. No local, national or International travel since February so most of my weekends have been used to work on the car. The second important factor is my wife took on an educational opportunity that has her splitting her time in AZ and CA. So, more car time as a result. All this extra time won't last for too long, so I am making the most of it.

121 - 140 of 177 Posts