El Camino Central Forum banner

581 - 600 of 679 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #581
Wow,

You two talk a good talk and I will definitely keep your advice in mind. Clearly, both of you missed a promising career as a motivational speaker. Seriously.

I gotta' get my Elky machine out of the transmission shop first before I do anything. They removed the trans on Friday late but did not have time to diagnose the leak. Maybe tomorrow. I'm just happy this warranty claim is not their lowest priority.

Rick

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
4,274 Posts
Rick
Here is a body color matched sprayed in liner that was in a 1968 at the OPGI 2018 Chevy Show.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #583
That DOES look better. I think the three of you convinced me. Now to go fix a sheared Woodruff key on a lawnmower engine flywheel. I nearly broke my wrist before figuring this out . . . spark timing must be very advanced now.

Rick

·
Premium Member
205 Posts
The body color spray in liner is slick. Really like the look of it.

·
Past Director Region 13, Senior Member
2,722 Posts
That DOES look better. I think the three of you convinced me. Now to go fix a sheared Woodruff key on a lawnmower engine flywheel. I nearly broke my wrist before figuring this out . . . spark timing must be very advanced now.

Rick
Rick, if you decide to go that route, I will be curious to know what the final cost is. I've seen estimates from $450 to $850 but,also heard there can be extra $$$ for color match and UV protection.

·
Premium Member
1,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #586
Hello Les,

I applied for an online quote yesterday for the color-matched spray and maybe they will respond today.

The closest Line-X vendor is in Tyler, Tx, a little over 90 miles away but we shall see what they say.

More to follow . . .

Rick

·
Premium Member
1,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #587
Hey Les,

I heard back from "Rose City Detail", the Linex distributor in Tyler, TX. They want $725 to do a 70 EC bed in color matched spray with the UV protection.

It's a six hour job but they need to preorder the paint. So it's a coordination process and you can't just show up at these places and get it done that day. Basically, it's a 2-3 day lead time.

Rick

·
Past Director Region 13, Senior Member
2,722 Posts
Great!! Thanks Rick.

·
Premium Member
1,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #589
I checked on my transmission at the shop a few minutes ago and they are working on it. Might be back installed tomorrow.

It's getting the "neck" on the torque converter replaced plus a new bushing and seal on the input shaft to the pump.

Rick

·
Premium Member
1,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #591
Hello Rick,

I picked it up late this afternoon from the transmission shop. I'm going to lay a few newspapers under the transmission for a few days to check for leaks. Until all of this trouble with leaks, I never realized that new transmission fluid does not make much of a stain on cardboard.

I also heard from my AC installer and it does not appear that I will get the AC kit installed next week. So I'll be Arlington bound . . . windows down.

The Other Rick

·
Premium Member
4,274 Posts
Rick
Consider putting paper towels on top of the cardboard.
That may help you see the red drops.

·
Premium Member
1,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #593
Hello Gale,

Yes, that would be better. The all white color would be better.

Rick

·
Premium Member
1,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #594
Hello,

No transmission leaks so far and I've put 40-50 miles on it since its return from the shop. I just crawled under it after returning from a nice car show in Bethany, TX today. No leaks but . . . I think a bolt in the flex plate is loose. I looked around while I was under there looking for leaks after the pipes cooled off and nothing else is obviously rubbing or banging - only at idle or low RPM does it do this knocking. Two of the mechanics at the transmission shop were at this Bethany show and were the people that told me of the show. These two really are good people and told me to bring it by later this week. Unfortunately for them, the passenger side header has to come loose to get to the starter to remove it and then tighten the flex plate bolts. That's the way it is on a 4L60E trans, no removable access cover.

Some good news about the installation of my air conditioning kit. I may be able to drop the vehicle off next Friday morning. This shop is in the middle of expanding their floor space for more bays, more concrete, more lifts, bigger everything. They have been off the electrical grid this week because he's wiring this new building for 480 volt, 3-phase power and the power company had to cut power to his original building to do it all. So the automotive work has gotten a little backed up.

Rick

·
Premium Member
1,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #595
Hello,

The EC got dropped off early Friday morning for the installation of the Classic air conditioning kit and it should be done in plenty of time for the 60th Anniversary Arlington trip. I will swing by the shop tomorrow to see how its going. He said it could take as long as next Wednesday for the installation, vacuum pump down, adding refrigerant and leak checking.

My next concern will be the knock under the floor pan transmission hump and hopefully, that will be a simple fix prior to next weekend. I'm almost regretting the start on the installation of air conditioning and perhaps should have focused more on the transmission or whatever is causing the knock.

In any event, I'm headed to Arlington next weekend with or without an El Camino.

Rick

·
Premium Member
1,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #597
Hello,

Earlier today, I visited the shop that is doing my AC install and it was a productive meeting. I was able to answer wiring questions and give them some time saving relief on certain things.

I was able to explain how they should use the green AC compressor support wire in my Four Seasons electric fan controller. This allows the fan controller relay to be used without their original desire to add an all new relay assembly. Saves time and money.

They did not need to cut the back of the glove box away to fit in the evaporator and blower fan assembly. I was very worried that an amputation would have to occur here but its not needed. However, my choice of location for the powertrain control module on top of the glove box did not work. It had to move to somewhere else I think to work for air hoses but I’m not really sure why. I will know more when I get the vehicle back.

It was a tight fit to get the center dash vent assembly in and bolted but he did it. The all new electronic AC control panel is also installed.

We discovered that it will be impossible to mount the air vent assembly for the passenger under the glove box door. This vent assembly has too much depth for the hose and hits the evaporator case. I might see what I can do with it later but the passenger still has the adjustable vent near the wing window plus half of the high center dash vent.

Here’s the most amazing thing. The technician did not need to remove the passenger side inner fender to reach the old blower mount hole in the passenger side firewall to patch and plug it. Somehow, with rubber mounted human arms, wrist and quadruple-jointed fingers, he was able to bolt in the circular metal patch over that hole. I could only imagine how uncomfortable that must have been.

I showed him the electrical connector needed to plug in to the new AC Delco compressor. We also discussed its new “Nostalgic AC” compressor to lines adapter, its o-rings and the need for either a 45 degree or a 90-degree fitting to keep the new hoses away from a hot header pipe. No problem, they say.

Placement of the heater hoses and its control valve plus wiring was discussed. No problems there.

The radiator was still draining when I got there and work on the heater water hoses was next.

The new (not rebuilt) AC Delco compressor was out of the box and would likely have been installed late today.

They do a 30-minute vacuum pump down unless they have the opportunity to leave it overnight. I’m not sure which will occur with this but its very likely that I will get my El Camino back late tomorrow.

More to follow.

Rick

·
Premium Member
1,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #599 (Edited)
Hello,

I picked up the Elky today and the "Classic" air conditioning kit installation went well. At the center vent using a digital thermometer, I was at 46-47 degrees F while going down the road. It was in the high 80's here today and that 46-47 degree temperature did fluctuate a little with road speed and engine RPM but the cabin was always comfortable.

Engine temperature generally went up 5-10 degrees with the condenser up in front of the radiator. I was at about 210 F before the AC installation and I saw about 220 F today sitting in traffic. But it would go down to about 215 or so while underway at reasonable speeds. I'm quite happy with those engine temperatures.

As for cabin heat, no problem. There's plenty of capacity for heating. Very good blow for windshield defrost on both sides of the windshield. My electrical system voltage drops to the low 13 volt range on high AC blower speeds according to the dash gauge but I need to check what the voltage actually is at the battery with the engine running using a good multimeter. My suspicion is that it'll be higher at the battery where it really matters - probably 13.5 VDC or higher.

They routed my AC hoses the way I wanted above the inner fender but hidden below the outer fender. They used two 90 degree bends in the custom made hoses at the compressor and the Nostalgic AC adapter to the LS compressor is working perfectly. Without this adapter, I likely would have been forced to change the front engine accessory drive assembly to go with a high mount compressor. This would have been a large expense but this adapter was less than $40 plus shipping. Those hose elbows at the compressor are still close to the front most header pipe so I will eventually put some header wrap around the pipe to shield the AC hose from the heat.

There is a "calibration chipset / LED" that comes with this kit. A calibration routine is required between the all electronic dashboard controls, the electronic heater control valve and the guts of the evaporator assembly where all of the blend doors and blower motor reside. Though it is unlikely I will ever need to rerun the calibration to change anything, they gave me the chipset in case I might. It fits nicely inside a reused pill bottle that also contains a thumb drive with a saved copy of the re-flashed LS engine powertrain control module operating system. I'm happy with the system so far.

I'm taking at least half a day off from work tomorrow to go back to the transmission shop to at least diagnose what the knocking sound is under the floor pan transmission hump. Hopefully, it will be an easy fix and I will drive the El Camino on Saturday to Arlington for the 60th Anniversary show.

Rick

·
Premium Member
1,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #600
Hello,

As some of you may know, I did not make it to the 60th Anniversary Show but I did give it a good try. A small crush-able fitting on the transmission cooler line failed at the cooler but the transmission is unharmed. Something urged me to stop for a check of things under the hood just across the state line in Texas and I found a leak at the cooler. So I tightened the fitting and headed on for the next I-20 offramp at Marshall, TX and the leak was worse. Time to call the tow truck courtesy of the AAA people.

For mere pennies, I was able to replace the crushed and failed collar in the line Monday. So the vehicle is technically back in business but I'm now considering a re-attack on my wonky fuel gauge. I have fewer car shows to attend so it's time to get this fixed.

Rick

581 - 600 of 679 Posts