El Camino Central Forum banner

681 - 700 of 728 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,459 Posts
I'm glad you are safe. Very glad you found the problem and are able to fix it.

·
Registered
131 Posts
You could try Aircraft Aluminium tape. It's the stuff they use on the leading edges of wings and helicopter blades. It's like 2mm thick, solid (ish) duct tape that sticks harder than Super Glue.

·
Premium Member
1,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #684
I will try to take a few pictures tomorrow after work for the virtual show.

And I've not heard of thst tape before. Do you have a link?

Many thanks,

Rick

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
8,459 Posts
The Virtual Car Show is under "site topics" Virtual Car Show-2020.

·
Registered
195 Posts
It's a good thing you caught it when you did! That could have been a real bad day had those bolts backed out completely. Glad to hear it's all good now! I can't wait to head to some shows myself.

·
Past Director Region 13, Senior Member
2,733 Posts
It's also called Speed Tape.

It's 'duct tape on Steroids' basically.
This is 4". Google the PN. There are a number of places that sell it.

·
Premium Member
1,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #689
Hello,

It appears that my difficulty with passenger front wheel vibration last Saturday is going to take further analysis and likely parts replacement. I have tightened everything up and put it back together and the vibration is as bad as last weekend. It looks like complete disassembly of the right front suspension is now necessary to check on parts that have somewhere around 3500 miles of use.

Rick

·
Premium Member
1,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #690
Hello,

And then again, maybe not. God has decided to smile on me and protect me two weekends in a row. Please see the pictures. That passenger side rear tire popped on me this morning - like the slow motion popping of a balloon. Sitting still, parked in the shop. I was jacking up the passenger side front to look things over again after taking a short, less than a mile test drive. I had made some minor adjustments to the compression and rebound settings on my coil over front shock thinking this might help.

And then that tire simply popped. It had proper air pressure and I always run 33-35 PSI. The tire was not hot from the short test drive. All of my tires only have about 3500 miles on them with barely any wear and the oldest date code is from February of 2015. On the other hand, these were not expensive, high quality tires at about $65-70 each purchased locally. The tire manufacturer should perhaps change their name to the "MayPop Tire Company" but at the time of purchase, there was not an abundance of tire choices for fifteen inch wheels.

So now my theory is the passenger front wheel vibration is that tire coming apart internally prior to an eventual same failure as the rear tire this morning. It looks OK externally but I'm not going to take any chances. I'm going to look harder for four new higher quality fifteen inch tires this week.

Rick

Attachments

·
Registered
131 Posts
Yeah, that's some serious belt seperation. Are you absolutely positive they were brand spankin new tires that had never been mounted? Usually you'll see that after a tire is mounted and driven on a minute, the belts 'seat' in a particular pattern, then put on again in reverse. Shreds the belts. Can flip the old bias-ply (that was actually recommended, left front to right rear etc) , but not the newer radials.

I've seen multiple shady shops that have a 'drive on it 100 miles' kinda warranty, if not happy then switch tires, but they'll sell those old tires as new. Not hard to get a left and right tire mixed up.

Sometimes tires get 'crushed' during transport and as long as there's no external damage, you get to be the Guinea Pig. When the tires go bad, the shop can then claim warranty repair and get reimbursed. Crushed transport tires don't get that luxury.

·
Premium Member
1,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #692
They appeared to be new when I got them but who really knows. There is no dry rot cracking in the sidewall rubber but the tread face rubber at the blowout tear has a "dry" sort of feeling and look to it. Hard to describe.

I've had loyalty to the shop for a very long time where I got these tires and maybe they will take pity on me tomorrow. I'm hopeful that maybe they can get their hands on some 15 inch raised white letter tires but they didn't when I got these. If they don't, there is a Tire Rack warehouse across the river in Shreveport that has raised white letter tires and I can take them to the base Auto Hobby Shop for mounting and balancing.

Rick

·
Registered
195 Posts
Sorry to hear about the bad luck with tires. I used to work at a tire shop, and it's always recommended to change tires every 5 years, no matter how much tread is on them. Some may not believe in that practice, but I like to err on the side of caution. I've had issues with bad tires in the past, and growing up, my dad was the type that would keep tires on vehicles driven every now and then for decades because they still had good tread. Our family truck was the perfect example. 76 Chevy 1 ton dually that was used mainly for towing our family trailer. He had the same Remington tires on the truck over 10 years and during a trip to Yellowstone, blew the inner dual on the right side, on a Sunday, in a remote town. Needless to say we were stranded for a while until we were able to convince a local to get ahold of the 1 shop owner, to come and replace it. Took 3 hours, and cost over $250 for a single tire, because it was Sunday. I just replaced all the tires on my trailer a few months ago before a trip, with "good tread" but they were 6 years old.

·
Premium Member
1,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #694
Hello,

My front wheel / suspension vibration problem is solved and four new Tire Rack Cooper Raised White Letter tires fixed this problem. It wasn't more than two tenths of a mile and a 40-45 mile per hour speed before I could tell that this problem was solved.

I'm disappointed in myself that I didn't try the spare tire in that right front location to narrow this problem down sooner but hey, its fixed. It never hurts to look over your steering and suspension closely and this episode of trouble certainly gave me that.

Lesson learned? Cheap tires ain't cheap.

Rick

·
Registered
131 Posts
Hah, ain't that the truth. I read somewhere that only a Rich man can afford to buy cheap stuff, as only he can afford to keep replacing it over and over again...

·
Registered
131 Posts
Hmm recall notice. I like those. Companies willing to tell the truth and avoid hazards are far better imho than ones who bury their head in the sand and claim ignorance.

·
Premium Member
1,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #698
Hello,

As Gale and I have been discussing on his recent thread about floppy, droopy, weakly clamped sun visors, I have decided to attack my same problem in a different manner.

The clamp simply isn't gripping tightly enough to keep the visor where you need it and I apparently stripped the original screw out trying to tighten it but did not damage the threads in the visor pivoting clamp - see picture. I measured the thread size and pitch at 10-24 and fortunately for me, I had a suitable length 10-24 stainless steel bolt and nut in my junk box.

So I placed the visor clamp in the jaws of my medium sized vise and squeezed the halves of the visor clamp ever so slightly closer together. I'm thinking my movement here couldn't have been more than maybe a 1/16th of an inch or less in closing that gap.

In went the new bolt and it is now backed up by a nut on the other side. The black sleeve that you see in Gale's picture is there in mine but my black sleeve is rotated in such a way as it can't be seen through the gap in the clamp. That black sleeve really has to be there or there would be a much, much larger gap to close for good clamping force.

Up it went back into the roof of my El Camino and I had to play around about as long to get those three screws back into their holes as I did with doing everything else on this job. The visor is much more grippy now where I place it but I have not done any test drives so we shall see.

Rick

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,403 Posts
Dear ladies of the NECOA, and those who might refer cute ladies with wonderful personalities to me.

Sure, sure, we can agree that the Old Bear is soft stuffed in the middle like a Teddy Bear.
However there is nothing that is floppy or droopy around here.
My Doctor says if I ever should find the right girlfriend that I can schedule another appointment anytime.

·
Premium Member
4,403 Posts
I read that some folks have tried aluminum foil wrap instead of the insert (bushing).
Others said that cutting one out of an old thin throw away pie tin works better.

So far the OPGI one is working for me.

681 - 700 of 728 Posts