El Camino Central Forum banner

721 - 728 of 728 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #721
Believe it or not, my wing window rubber is original. Still good so I didn't replace it though the other window rubber is all new.

Rick

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
36 Posts
Holy Smokes! Those level 3 kits aren't cheap! I'll have to start putting money aside for that.
Good news is, you can go incrementally. Start with Coil Over kit, then add Tubular Arms, then Trailing Arm kit, etc. More work that way, but can spread the cost out over time. I would definitely go with the Coil Over conversion vs. buying new stock style springs/shocks.

·
Premium Member
1,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #723
I do have front coil over shocks but that thin, original front sway bar simply isn't doing the job anymore. So I think I will be ordering the 1.25 inch front UMI bar and rear 1.00 inch bar tomorrow.

I had questions for UMI this afternoon and left them my phone number to call me back. Maybe tomorrow. It was almost quitting time and I think they are in Pennsylvania ahead of me in Central time.

Rick

·
Registered
195 Posts
Believe it or not, my wing window rubber is original. Still good so I didn't replace it though the other window rubber is all new.

Rick

Wow! That's really lucky. The stuff that you did replace, where did you get it from?

·
Registered
195 Posts
Good news is, you can go incrementally. Start with Coil Over kit, then add Tubular Arms, then Trailing Arm kit, etc. More work that way, but can spread the cost out over time. I would definitely go with the Coil Over conversion vs. buying new stock style springs/shocks.
That might be the way to go for me. Do they list everything individually? I didn't see a list.

·
Premium Member
1,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #726
My replaced window and door rubber is all of the "Repops" brand. No trouble at all for the door window glass felts at all. Perfect.

The door weather strip rubber was another story. It fit and plugged into the door holes properly but there was still a lot of drafty air noise going down the road. This next tip is going to sound a little hokey and maybe it is but it worked for me. I stuffed the fattest black Hobby Lobby pipe cleaners behind this rubber to "plump up" the seal and stop the wind noise. And generally speaking, these pipe cleaners are not visible and if they are, its only with the door open.

It worked. All I can say.

Rick

·
Premium Member
1,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #727
Hello,

I got the new UMI rear sway bar installed today and it makes a big difference in the handling in the corners of big turns. No squeaks or odd noises from the bar but I did have to drill one new hole per lower control arm to get the bar mounted. This vehicle had no rear sway bar at all before today and this one inch thick UMI bar removes almost all of the body roll in turns.

I have not mounted the new front 1.25 inch UMI sway bar and the stock 7/8ths inch original bar is still in place. I wanted to take a test drive with the new rear bar and if I had to quit now without the bigger front bar, I'd be happy. But this situation with a skinnier bar up front is not recommended and I will install the bigger bar in a few days. I should not need to drill any holes for it which should make for an easy installation.

Rick

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #728
Hello,

Nimble, well-planted and sure-footed now describes how this EC handles. I got the UMI part number 4035 front sway bar (1.25 inch) mounted earlier this evening and went for a test drive. After installing the rear part number 4034 bar (1.00 inch), I didn't think the fatter new front bar would make that much difference but it did. Very flat in turns and the steering wheel seems more responsive. No squeaks on this bar but I may need to adjust the end links because the steering wheel is cocked ever so slightly to the left and it was centered before mounting this bar.

To recap - I'm also running new but stock upper and lower control arms and a set of UMI front coil over shocks that are adjustable for both compression and rebound - very firm settings here for the shocks. Stock original rear springs and control arms. For anybody that has an EC without a rear sway bar, I can completely recommend adding a one inch bar. For the money and effort, it was well worth it and the hardest part was drilling holes in the lower rear control arms.

Rick

721 - 728 of 728 Posts