El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Help ! My husband bought a 1970 el camino ss 396. It didn't pass inspection. Needs new rear brakes, seal leaking. He took it all apart, bought parts needed. Had removed pinion bar. gears moved slightly. Now he can't get pinion bar back in and has been unable to get gears to move back. Any suggestions ?? Thanks !
(He's in big trouble because he told me how much money we would save buying this rather than a new car, it's an investment, etc.) I've now made 2 payments and we haven't had any use of it yet, and I'm afraid it's either going to sit there apart forever or it's going to wind up costing a fortune. Sandy

·
Premium Member
5,893 Posts
It sounds like it must have a posi traction unit. Try putting both axles back in (don't need the keepers or anything). Place a bar through the lug bolts on one side and let it rest against something like the driveway. Go to the other side and use another bar to turn that axle. A little bit goes a long way. Action is doubled at the spider gears. It would definitely be easier with a buddy to help but can be done by yourself. If you move it the wrong way don't keep going around in the same direction just set the bars up to let you go the other way.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
1970 el camino rear posi brakes

Thank you so much. I am going to try this. Will keep you posted.

George:beer:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts