El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I am trying to locate the place where the jack instruction decal goes for a 1970 elky. A friend told me that his 72 elky has the decal behind where the spare tire is but on mine, it is all carpet, his is metal painted the color of the body.

As always, any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
Brian, your friend is correct. The decal does go in back of the spare. Right above where the jack mounts. On my 72, I made a speaker wall made out of wood and carpet. It hides the bare metal and made a great place for speakers and amps.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The carpeted area appears to be factory since it is bound on the edge at the floor and tucked behind the plastic side panels. There is even a bound edged lift up part where the plastic storage compartment is behind the driver seat which is held down by a small piece of velco.

Is this carpeting a factory option or is it supposed to be bare painted metal on the back wall?

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
I have been searching for the answer to that exact question since I got my 72. I have looked in books and assy manuals plus have looked at many 3rd gen elky's. I have come to the conclusion that it was always bare metal. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. Whenever I've seen any carpert in the back, the owner usually had done it themselves. The next gen elky's had some plastic to cover it up and also some carpet snap on curtains. It seems you are going for a total accurate restoration. Either way, do you have pics on ECC to look at? Or a web site?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts