El Camino Central Forum banner

1970 SS? VIN doesn't match Tri 13437m Tag. Info seems to conflict. Help!

6K views 12 replies 10 participants last post by  pbr400 
#1 ·
Hi All,

I'm about to take the plunge on a 1970 El Camino SS 396 or at least it sure looks like one.
It seems a little sketchy right off because I couldn't find the vin in the spot at the bottom of the front window drivers side where it usually is, but I couldn't recall if back then they were put somewhere else. When I brought to the seller's attention, he said it is under the hood and pointed out what I now know is the trim tag. Here's what it had:
ST70 13437 KAN870766 BDY
TR 750 25 25 PNT
03C 06642 Z

After I got home, I called the seller and asked him to give me the vin off his registration. He said he thought the trim tag was the vin but he did some checking and then gave me this vin number:
136370B187876

I've been trying to reconcile the info on each and it seems that the trim tag is saying it's from Kansas but the vin seems to say Baltimore. I don't see anything to indicate SS or engine size as far as I can tell and I have no idea what the Z is at the end of the trim tag.

The seller seems to be an old car guy who has been hot rodding since the 60s so it seems odd that he would think the trim tag would have the vin number. He has a hot rodded 64 nova in his garage that has a built in lift and all the trimmings so I'm kind of thinking he's not being entirely candid.

Don't get me wrong but if the car is a "tribute", it was done some years ago and looks like it was taken apart for a quality paint job. BTW it's Red with white SS stripes on the hood but I believe the trim tag is saying blue.

Anyway, sorry for the long post but any help I could get, I'd really appreciate.

Thanks!

1970 El Camino SS 396, TH400, 12 bolt rear end, bucket seats, console shifter. Like I said, if it's a clone, it was very nicely done years ago.

See less See more
#3 · (Edited)
My first week of January 1970, Kansas City, MO produced EC has a starting sequence in the VIN of:

There's two confirmation VIN's on these vehicles:

Stamped into the passenger side firewall sheet metal and stamped into the driver's side rear frame rail. Both of these wont be easy to find or see once you get close.

Mine was never an SS and didn't have a 396 engine but I've learned that unless you have the original window sticker or the factory build sheet then its tough to prove that it was ever an SS396.

But something is not right if the seller gives you the wrong VIN or the tag is missing.

Rick

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

#4 ·
136370B187876 = 1 = Chevrolet , 36 = Malibu , Custom El Camino , Concours , 8 Cyl . , 37 = 2 dr. , notchback , hard top coupe . , 0 = 1970 , B = Baltimore , 187876 = production number . ST = Style , 70 = 1970 , 13437 = Chevelle , 2 dr. sport coupe , 5 passenger , KAN = Leeds , Kansas , 870766 = production # . BDY = Body . TR= Trim , 750 = ??? , 25 25 = Astro Turquoise Metalic , PNT= Paint . 03 = March , C = 3rd week . 066422 = production # . That's all I could find .

#6 ·
Thank you, guys. Based on all the evidence and my gut feeling, I have to conclude this el camino was pieced together from different vehicles some years ago. Very well done though.

It's a hard call but I think I've got to pass. Pretty as it is, it's really a museum piece that I'd have to be the custodian for and that's just not my style. I need the running gear but don't need a princess. I gotta be able to get a scratch and not cry about it forever and i would with this car. It breaks my heart.

Unless of course the guy makes me an offer I can't refuse. He's moving and needs it gone. That would be a Hail Mary but you never know.

Mahalo Mucho!

#7 ·
Hi All,

I'm about to take the plunge on a 1970 El Camino SS 396 or at least it sure looks like one.
It seems a little sketchy right off because I couldn't find the vin in the spot at the bottom of the front window drivers side where it usually is, but I couldn't recall if back then they were put somewhere else. When I brought to the seller's attention, he said it is under the hood and pointed out what I now know is the trim tag. Here's what it had:
ST70 13437 KAN870766 BDY
TR 750 25 25 PNT
03C 06642 Z

After I got home, I called the seller and asked him to give me the vin off his registration. He said he thought the trim tag was the vin but he did some checking and then gave me this vin number:
136370B187876

I've been trying to reconcile the info on each and it seems that the trim tag is saying it's from Kansas but the vin seems to say Baltimore. I don't see anything to indicate SS or engine size as far as I can tell and I have no idea what the Z is at the end of the trim tag.

The seller seems to be an old car guy who has been hot rodding since the 60s so it seems odd that he would think the trim tag would have the vin number. He has a hot rodded 64 nova in his garage that has a built in lift and all the trimmings so I'm kind of thinking he's not being entirely candid.

Don't get me wrong but if the car is a "tribute", it was done some years ago and looks like it was taken apart for a quality paint job. BTW it's Red with white SS stripes on the hood but I believe the trim tag is saying blue.

Anyway, sorry for the long post but any help I could get, I'd really appreciate.

Thanks!

1970 El Camino SS 396, TH400, 12 bolt rear end, bucket seats, console shifter. Like I said, if it's a clone, it was very nicely done years ago.
John,

The guy you need to get in touch with is Patrick Glenn Nichols. He is THE 1970 SS Chevelle authority. I don't know how much research he does on the El Camino but I'm sure he would be quite interested in your find as he truly loves the 1970 SS and, more importantly, verifying the authenticity of a true '70 SS. He runs a channel on YouTube called "Patrick Glenn Nichols Musclecar Barn Finds" and he can be reached at pnichols26@yahoo.com or (931) 241-9908. Hope this helps. Let us all know the outcome!

John Woods

#8 ·
Your VIN tag should be on top of the dash, driver’s side, in a rectagular hole. It may be covered by an aftermarket dash cover? The number on the top right corner of the Trim Tag is the ‘sequential body number’ from the assembly plant. It waa an internal tracking number unrelated to the VIN. If the VIN isn’t on top of the dash and can’t be explained clearly and legally, then it’s a parts car. Be wary and either walk away or buy it for parts.
Patrick

#10 ·
Hi All,

ST70 13437 KAN870766 BDY
TR 750 25 25 PNT
03C 06642 Z

136370B187876

Thanks!

13437 is a Chevelle Standard 2 door sport coupe, 13637 is a Malibu sport coupe. Either someone has changed the VIN plate or the Fisher Body trim tag. The "Z" found on the tag has been found on Chevelle 2 door sport coupes, El Caminos, and 4-door sedans; has something to do with the Standard's trim level.

See 1970 Kansas City trim tag decoding for more information on 1970 Fisher Body trim tags.If it has a Baltimore VIN, run...

#11 ·
John, I'm a little late to the party but the advice you got from other members is great. I bought a 70 SS El Camino when I was in Ohio ( Still Have it) from a guy in El Paso, Texas. The truck was titled in New Mexico. To make a long story short, when I got the truck home the title had one digit transposed from the actual vin tag. What I had to go through to verify the typing error on the N.M. title was a real pain. DMV people do not full around with incorrect vin numbers. They were nice enough to call the New Mexico DMV to verify the transposed number error but I still had to trailer the El Camino down to the Ohio DMV to get the correct vin verified. As you can see, if there is any question with the actual vin tag and the title vin number, back away. By the way, the vin tag on the 70 El Camino should show through the windshield on the drivers side.
Hope this helps.
Bill Elkie

#12 · (Edited)
As soon as I started reading the thread, I realized that the seller was hiding something. As it turned out I was right.) That is why I always say that it's so important to check the VIN code before purchasing used cars. You really can't find out every detailed information from the seller if only he is a good person. But as I already know some sellers are just evils and can hide that the car was in the accident or that it even doesn't have insurance. So guys, always check the VIN, and here is a vin decoder in case you need one.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.