El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just lost the rear air shocks in our 10971 elky. (Monroes) At this point will likely replace with the same. Have a couple of questions.

With the rear shocks out of the car, it sits very low. I assume the springs are original, should we be replacing these? Is there anyway to check the integrity of the springs. Preferred replacement springs?
Are there any measurements to check where the stock ride height should be? (would like it a little higher than stock, as we're running larger rims and tires.

Any preference on shock/spring upgrades without breaking the bank?

Thanks in advance
Bill

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Original Parts Group in Seal Beach has a pair of OEM style rear coils for $105.95 a pair. They have a TRW part number and made in USA. They have an HD pair of springs for $115.95. They also have new replacement insulators in rubber and polyurethane. When replacing your air shocks, rather than connect the air lines to a tee fitting, run individual fittings so you can adjust each side separately.

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Novelle,
I ended up ordering from my local parts guy ($90/shocks, $60/springs) same product as OPG.
Does anyone offer a hardline air system as opposed to the supplied plastic tubing?
Thanks, Bill

·
Registered
7 Posts
my 72 came with hard lines from the factory. it had hard line from the licence plate around the inside frame rail on each side. it exited right by the coil springs then went to rubber lines to attach to the shocks. you might be able to find a set of those through el camino central or some body else. I actually just got rid of mine when I replaced my broken frame. I went with drop springs and standard shocks. I was hoping it would help it hook up better. did not make a difference.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts