El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 71 250 has been having issues of late with electrical, 12.9-13.2 at idle, anything drops that to below 12.5, new alt, cleaned up the wires, could it be the regulator? really thinking about switching it over to an internal regulated unit at this time

·
Premium Member
5,750 Posts
What idle speed? The old 3 wire external regulatored ones don't put out much at low rpm. What happens when rpm is increased?

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
revving to 2500 did nothing, tried 3000 for the same result, maybe a 13.1 vs 12.9 diff, its also externally regulated

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
okay, question here, since it appears i have a dead regulator, im just gonna upgrade it to a 10si or a 12si, and do the external to internal conversion, can i just throw any 10-12si alt into the vehicle? as long as its over 63 amps

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
I would keep the old 10DN system its one of the best. I have a electronic regulator on my 69 and it works like a charm.. You can adjust those mechanical regulators buy using a volt meter and bending the little tab at the top.. Its pretty touchy but I've done it many times. I set it so its charging 13 at idle and then picks up to 14 to 14.5 at cruise rpm..

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ill nab a new solid state regulator soon, alt checked out good, just a wiring mess (the pior owner kinda tore up alot of the wires) it "was" charging at one point, after i put the new alt in, probably a ground

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Make sure all connections are good and tight.. It would be best if you could solder them.. But make sure all crimps are tight.. Electricity has mass even though you cant see it. Its like the flow of water, and when theres a bad connection, it slows down the flow much like lowering the flow of water with a faucet.. The positive terminal is the faucet and the negative terminal is the drain.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts