El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought an original owner '71 SS and am looking to fit it with some new rims and tires. I'm looking at the AR Torq Thrust line but according to the AR website, the 15X7s will not fit. I've seen other vendors state the opposite.

Anyone have any experience with AR Torq Thrust 15x7 wheels on a '71? Any advice/comments are greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

John

·
Premium Member
4,205 Posts
I would email their dealer support at:

There are a couple ways of using their site.
1: Choose the Wheel
2: Choose the vehicle
If you use option 2 and choose 71 Chevrolet E Camino it shows OE size is 15 X 7.
Yet if you use the selelction from there it only returns a few rim choices.

Having tuned websites for retail companies, I have seen that companies set rules up on what they show.
Sometimes those rules look at the in stock quantities and do not return selections that are either out of stock or low stock.

Make sure you are choosing the correct lug arrangement sizes, since they only show metric.
It would be easy to mean to click 5 * 120.65 (5 X 4 3/4)
.. and get the 5 * 127 (5 X 5)
Reference to metric to inches Bolt Pattern Conversion Chart.

You can open their 2020 catalog and see their versions of Torque Thrust wheels on pare 232.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

If you use option 2 and choose 71 Chevrolet E Camino it shows OE size is 15 X 7.

Having tuned websites for retail companies, I have seen that companies set rules up on what they show.
Sometimes those rules look at the in stock quantities and do not return selections that are either out of stock or low stock.

Make sure you are choosing the correct lug arrangement sizes, since they only show metric.

You can open their 2020 catalog and see their versions of Torque Thrust wheels on pare 232.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you Old Bear for the detailed reply. I will call them on Monday and post the outcome.

John

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
With a 15x7 wheel you want at least 4" of back space. 4.25 was factory. Have you considered the factory rally wheels. The first and second (with spokes) are same very nice looking wheels and there very strong and balance up nicely.. I've had too many issues with aluminum wheels shaking so its steel only for me... The ET Team III wheels are what you want. They come in the correct back space. I like the Vintage Five and Classic five wheels.. They are very high quality and the price reflects this... I'm going to pick up a set of second gen spoke wheels for my 69, like in the photo I got from the internet..

Another option would be chrome reverse Series 64 rims from Wheel Vintiques. They look real sixties vintage.. Summit sells them for $150 each. They are very strong and balance up nicely. I've had a couple set of them..

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
With a 15x7 wheel you want at least 4" of back space. 4.25 was factory. Have you considered the factory rally wheels. The first and second (with spokes) are same very nice looking wheels and there very strong and balance up nicely.. I've had too many issues with aluminum wheels shaking so its steel only for me... The ET Team III wheels are what you want. They come in the correct back space. I like the Vintage Five and Classic five wheels.. They are very high quality and the price reflects this... I'm going to pick up a set of second gen spoke wheels for my 69, like in the photo I got from the internet..

Another option would be chrome reverse Series 64 rims from Wheel Vintiques. They look real sixties vintage.. Summit sells them for $150 each. They are very strong and balance up nicely. I've had a couple set of them..

View attachment 127846

View attachment 127847
Thank you pitts64. I have to agree with you on the steel wheel. I don;t have the present budget to go with high dollar aluminum wheels so I've decided to go with US Wheel's Rallye 55 series. 15x7 in the front and 15x8 in the rear. Gonna slap on some Cooper Cobras and move on to the rest of the car.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have a 72 elkie. I installed the AR Torq thrust II polished rims with no issue. I'm running 16 inch x 8 inch wide rims, with 225-55/16 tires, again with no issue.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks ELKYBILL. I ended going with US Wheel's silver powdercoat version of the rallye. 15x7 in the front and 15x8 in the rear with 2" trim rings and the pictured center cap on all four. Going with 235/60R-15 Cooper Cobras in the front and 255/60R-15s in the rear. I hope it turns out well. The valve stem hole sure seems too close to the wheel's inner bend radius but I'm sure if it was an issue US Wheel would have received many, many returns. Crossing my fingers...

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
How did the US wheels turn out?

That used to be a decent wheel.. The top of the line is still the ET, Team III, Vintage Five and Classic Five wheel. Sometimes you can get them on sale. As far as looks go the ET has them all beat, they are one of the few who still make the same style wheels as they did in the 60s..

1 - 14 of 14 Posts