El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I know where I can over pay for the lift access panel and the bed panel, eventually I'll know whats underneath all of this rusted mess so I can determine what do do about supports etc. , but for now might any of you have any suggestions for the smugglers area?:neutral:

GOT A TON MORE PICTURES/CLOSEUPS AT THE LINK BELOW

FOR MORE OF THAT SWEET SWEET STUFF CALLED RUST! CLICK BELOW!!!:let_it_all_out:
https://imageshack.com/user/yella85caballero

·
Registered
511 Posts
Man you have your work cut out for if you are going to try and save that one! I would check out the frame before you start work on anything else as it is likely it is damaged as well.:texas:

·
Registered
28 Posts
you got a long road to fix all that rust ahead of you my friend, not impossible, but a long road. I was able to find a patch panel on ss396 I might start by looking there.

·
Registered
4,740 Posts
Greetings from Deerwood MN

Welcome & Good luck! :bigups: I think my 1st. priority would be making sure my Tetanus shots were up to date! :eek3:

·
Premium Member
424 Posts
You do have some work ahead of you. The good news is that the floor pan for a station wagon rear seat is what you need to fix the bottom of the smugglers box. Just cut away the rusted stuff. The new panel is a direct replacement. And unless you plan to carry something heavy in the front of the bed, you don't need that cross brace. The new bed floor section will support quite a bit of weights.
All the suggestions above are good. With that much rust, the bed supports & frame need thorough inspection.
Also, if you could put the body on a rotisserie it would make the hard work a bit easier. Just an idea.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts