El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I have a 1972 ElCamino that i just finished restoring, has a 400 in it thats been rebuilt mostly stock. It sat for 6 years while getting restored and I got it on the road in April 2012. It runs great, and drives great, but i came across a problem 2 months ago and i just cant figure it out. My issue is that i started it and it fired right up no issues, the next day i went to back it out of the garage and the starter made grinding noise but fired the engine. So i shut it off and took a look at the starter and some how it ate all the teeth off the starter. Ok so i went and got a new starter and got it in, and now it will not start as in when i turn the key nothing happens. I got it started by jumping the posts on the starter with a wire and now it wont even do that. Is there some kind of adjustment in the ignition switch or do i need a new one? I havent been able to even move it out of my driveway in 2 months! Any help is greatly appreciated! Thanks!!

·
Registered
2,938 Posts
Welcome to NECOA, Taylor. I'm not sure how many starters you have had out but it is common for the drive gear to show some wear, even a lot of wear, on a starter that has been in service for some time. The ring gear on the flywheel or flexplate will also wear. Your original problem was probably that the ring gear stopped in a bad spot. Now that you have new teeth on the drive, wear on the ring should not be an issue. I am guessing that the starter you bought was a "remanufactured" unit. This could be problem two. Just cause it's new, don't mean it's any good. To troubleshoot, #1 see if you get power to the S terminal on the solenoid when the ignition is in the start position. #2 make sure all connections are clean and tight and that the battery is fully charged. Good luck with it.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts