El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a little confused about this one. I have 2 sets of lights for my '72. One set that's on the car is clear,while the other set I have is amber. I checked some suppliers and all they offer is the amber ones. Which one is the correct ones? Is the a differance between standard,custom,and SS models perhaps?

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
I may be mistaken on this, but I think your right on the money in your thinking. The SS had the clear lens with a small amber piece on the side, while all others were complete amber.
I have had both kinds of lens and now have the clear ones on mine. At dusk, with the parking lights on, it looks much much better.

·
164 Posts
You are correct in noting that there were two different lenses availible for 1972 Chevelles/El Caminos. There however was no corelation between the clear lenses and the Super Sports and the amber ones in regular eklys. The fact is they were both used in both Super Sports as well as Standard El Caminos. My car was built in Baltimore, Md in March of 1972, it has clear lenses from the factory. My car is not and was never an SS. I'm the second owner. The general conscienous on this topic is that both clear and amber lenses were used probably becuase of different manufactures of the parts and what different plants had at different times. This seems to be the same as the metal inner fenders and the plastic inner fenders. Some cars got plastic, some got metal and it has been documented where some got one of each. So, sorry, no, not all SS's got clear lenses.

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
Hello Bryan. I stand corrected. I went back through some books and literature. I could have sworn I saw that the clear lens marked a SS, but I was wrong.
It might be that the SS's I see around the North East have the clear lens.

On another note, I've seen your web site and your El Camino. That Elky is really nice. Love the color. Saw that you were a member of ECC, but had not read many posts by you.

Thanks again for the correction.

·
164 Posts
Hi, yeah, I'm a member here, actually I'm a regional director as well for the Penna. region. I am the moderator of the El Camino forum over at Chevytalk.com, that keeps me pretty busy and I'm also a law student which keeps me even busier. I try to stop by when I can as I love to answer questions and research the obsure.
As for the parking lights, you are correct, you did read somewhere, possibly Paul Herds Chevelle SS book, but I'm not sure. It was listed in a book a few years back and everyone took it to be the gospel. We've had lengthy discussions about this 3 or 4 years ago over at Team Chevelle and dispelled the rumor and this is where my story comes from. So, yes, you did read it somewhere, but now becuase of the internet, you, I, and whoever else reads this post or the one of many over at TC know now that the color of the turn signal lenses has nothing to do with whether or not the vehicle is an SS or not. 8).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts