El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there new to this but i have had my El Camino for about 2 years now.its my first car and i am very attached to it.very basic drivetrain. regular turbo 350 and a 350 out of a 68 camaro..anyway i love the car and i want everything to work..well to my point.the odometer rarely ever works.i think it has about twice so far..i want it to work all the time..i need help to find a way to get to the cable.i think it might just be loose..i have tried to do it easily but i cant find it underneath and there is alot of stuff in the way.thanks!

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Cable may be broken look on the back of the speedo should unscrew or have a clip holding it on take it loose should be enough slack to pull it out were you can see it put the car in gear and move forward a few feet you should see the cable turn if not it's broken or the gear in the tranny made be bad or both.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Is just the odometer not working or is it both the speedo and odometer out?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
actually ijust forgot about the speedo...im so used to it by now..the odometer dont work at all...but the speedo jerks up and down at all speeds..its close to the actual speed but still off.thank you i forgot all about it

·
Registered
1 Posts
The jerky speedo needle may be nothing more than a lubrication problem... The needle is moving so you know it's hooked up... I'd drop some lubricant into both ends of the speedo cable and see if that fixes the problem...

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
The speedo cable plugs into the top of the panel and it is a royal pain to access. You need to remove the dash pad at least. Then if you have REALLY SKINNY hands and arms you reach in and press a tab at the speedo cable where it plugs in to the instrument carrier. And when that doesn't work you need to drop the steering column, loosen the dash, pull it forward and then push the tab. I think that I have an extra dash panel in the shop and will try to get a photo later tonite.

The tab you need to push is just to the left of the right side bolt. http://s629.photobucket.com/user/rickas47/media/DSCN1158.jpg.html?sort=3&o=23

·
Venerated Member
501 Posts
Okay...well...let me just play devil's advocate then... Best way to get to the cable/speedo connection is topull the dash pad. You can pop the cable off (or unscrew, but in the 72 I think you will find the clip)...spray some cable lube down the housing...and button it all back uo. Because....

The problem is most likely at the other end of the cable :( The plastic driven gear inside the trans...

Just sayin'

Chris :driving:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts